Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 28 Albacore Inside the Inlet!


I had a great day of light tackle Albacore fishing today. I pretty much found cooperative schools of Albacore everywhere I looked from inside Beaufort Inlet all the way to the Shoals at Cape Lookout. In a half day of casting metal on spinning tackle, I released 8 Albacore up to 14 lb.s.


My goal for today was to search for schools of Red Drum up on the Shoals at Cape Lookout, but that never happened. I was amazed at the major changes to the landscape out there however. There was more dry lumps on the Shoals today than I can ever remember and huge areas of very shallow flats that stretch far to the west of where they were last winter. I see lots of potential for a great fly and spin fishery for Chopper Bluefish this Spring. Maybe even anchor the boat and walk in to cast.

No comments: