Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Oct 30 No Trout, No Drum, Albacore Fishing


I needed some help today. My apologies to Dean, my angler. Everything I tried, failed. We fished the Rocks and despite of seeing a fair number of Speckled Trout caught, we didn't catch any. We searched hard for Red Drum and couldn't find any. Finally after a long ride, we found a few Albacores and released 2. I had my shot at being a Hero today and couldn't get it done. While sitting on Anchor at the Rock Jetty, I saw a brown shape approaching our boat from a long ways off. Thinking Cownose Ray, I did nothing but sit there. As the fish came closer, it suddenly became clear that this was NO RAY. This was a Cobia and it was an 80+ Pounder. As it turned and swam down the port of my boat, 20 feet away, all I could do was cast a Gulp Bait on 6 lb. test on the trout rod. Saving me some embarrassment, the huge Cobia ignored my bait and sunk into the depths. I'm not sure if this fish would've hit a livebait or not, but I surely wasn't prepared for this golden opportunity.

No comments: