Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sept 9 - Capt Marty Update

Well, 2017 has nearly been a year without fishing. Pretty amazing after the past 31 years of FISHING 100 to 250 days per year. Obviously, I don't mean ALL DAY FISHING TRIPS in that TOTAL. But I do mean, significant time spent fishing during that day equals "fishing THAT day. I also recorded 1001 successful Fishing Charters that I ran from 2000 until 2016 .......

Then 2016 hit and my LIFE forever changed. In rapid succession, my Daddy's Health went from pretty bad to somebody needs to be with him nearly all the time. My Momma was diagnosed with Breast Cancer for the 7th time. Both my parents were 80 so even as it was serious, sad, stressful, and time consuming, it was somewhat expected and a labor of love.....

Then on June 30, the Love of My Life and Woman I was absolutely planning to spend the rest of my life with.......well she packed her stuff up. Including her lightning rod 15 yr old daughter. A very very accomplished ballerina and childhood prodigy THAT I COULD NOT MAKE LIKE ME (or even NOT HATE ME)..... Well Savanna walked out of my life BUT she dragged my beloved wife Jennifer out with her. Nearly as hurtful was Jennifer took the GREATEST DOG EVER, Emma with her.
Once again, and again, to make matters......

EVEN WORSE, just as Jennifer pulled out......Dr Bates, whom had ordered an MRI on my knees called and said "Oh, By the way, you need 2 knee replacements.....Are we seeing a trend here. Capt Marty Moore, who had it made for 50 years. Now, everything has fell completely apart. The wheels have came off my life.

Well by March, my Daddy had passed away. By April, I sold my boat....I pretty much stay with my Momma now. I'm paying a mortgage for a house I don't live in..... It sucks. I've only been fishing 5 times. I have no wife. Obviously. I have No Significant Other. I'm still "in love" with my wife and she hates me. But....I can't help it. Hopefully one morning soon, I will wake up and it'll be over for me.a Because it damn sure ended for her 18 months ago.

I miss Emma so bad, I break down and cry thinking about that poor Yellow Lab. She was so smart and she loved me sooooo much. We spent 24 hours a day together. I guess I need a puppy. But all I want to day is travel. A dog will be problematic.

As for fishing, thanks to Capt Ryan Guthrie and CaptnTuggwell, I have seen some great fishing . We have had great days with Bluefish twice. Monster Blues once and 2 to 4 pounders once. Great action. Tuggy and I had Sharks and Amberjacks once. I officially released a 120" app 800 lb Tiger Shark that ate a 40 lb Amberjack. I reeled the Shark "to the boat" and Tuggy touched the leader...... So there you go.....Official Release!

I had a great trip to Lake Erie with Tom and Timmy. The Walleye were running small this year.. We had some nice 5 to 6 pounders. In years past, we'd catch limits of those with 8-9 pounders for bragging. None of those this year. To the contrary, this year we actually had dozens of throwbacks and we never found limits of keepers. I did manage to land a few significant other like Smallmouth Bass, Feshwater Drum, Rock Bass, White Bass, and White and Yellow Persh.

Finally Capt Ryan put me on the best fight of the year when I settled us down one afternoon recently over the Atlas Tanker. It was relatively dead on this day. Very few Jacks and the Barracudas were skittish too. Anyway, even though it ended in a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT I got a mystery bite while jigging a white stingsiver in 124 feet of water. I was shaking it about 95 ft deep.....this fish smoked it horizontally but at a depth of 95 feet, it was an odd sensation. What wasn't odd was thr throbbing tail beat that told me "tuna species". It was a little more defined than then "throb of a jack species".. In my mind, the remaining mystery had 2 great outcomes (Blackfin or Yellowfin) or 1 let down outcome! (False Albacore)......  well, of course, 20 minutes later, I landed a 20+ pound False Albacore. Great Fight greater letdown. We ended up that day with several Sandbar Sharks in the 100 lb class. Groupers, Dolphins, Kings, and things were missing in action.

Finally last week at work, I believe it was Monday night September 18. Very late at night and in horrible conditions, blowing from the north about 30 kts........ Suddenly a Striped Bass frenzy developed out of nowhere right under the lights at one of the Ferry Docks. Good thing It was my turn to stay up all night. I checked my trusty "fishing wagon" and pulled out the trusty 5 wt fly rod.
Over the next 45 minutes, All I had to to was "hit the water". Easier than it seemed. The wind was ripping from the North. From Left to Right and in my face.... Regardless, in the next 45 minutes, I hooked and lost 6 Striped Bass, I lost 4 Flys, I released 5 Striped Bass from 4 to 7 lbs each, and I had quite a collection of Striped Bass rolling around in the grass behind me. Of course, I recruited Joey to help me. He's one of mu ole Hatteras Outlaws......So, there you go.

Capt Marty Fishing in 2017 so far:
800 lb Tiger Shark released
25" False Albacore released
100 lb Sandbar Sharks released
Striped Bass, Walleye, Bluefish, Sp Mackerel, Red Drum, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass
Rainbow Trout, Book Trout,

Thats about it

And, I am going to try to get it going again THIS FALL  and Maybe

CRANK IT BACK UP NEXT SPRING









3 comments:

Jordan said...

Good to hear from you Capt Marty. If you want to hit some docks this fall on my jon boat let me know.

Anonymous said...

It could be a lot worse, we almost ended up with Hillary Clinton as president (lol). Waiting on the end of the story.....

JD Dallas said...

Hang in there Marty! Good to hear from you.