Friday, July 18, 2008

July 17 Sailfish, Crevalle Jack, Speckled Trout, and Red Drum What a Mix!


Not a pretty day. Mostly cloudy early and a 15 knot North wind. Not a good day to to throw a Top Water Plug. But I did anyway. My first cast was followed by a Barracuda. My second cast was creamed by a Crevalle Jack. While chasing this Jack around the wreck my boat suddenly became a safe haven for a school of Thread Herring that was under seige by 3 Sailfish. As if a big Jack on a spinning rod wasn't enough, I quickly hooked up 2 Sailfish on cigar minnows. Triple header. Twenty minutes later I had released a 72" Sailfish, broke off a Sailfish that got tangled up with the Crevalle Jack, and released a 20 lb. Crevalle Jack! Before I left the area I also caught a few Black Sea Bass on a jig. Later in the morning I went inside and caught 2 Red Drum (27" and 30") from the tower. I also caught 4 Speckled Trout (18" to 20") that were cruising the edge of a channel. Finally, on the way home, I visited my favorite Shoal and saw a dozen Blacktip Sharks from 40 to 60 pounds each. Sailfish picture was done with my cell phone! That was the best I could do....It actually turned out pretty good!

No comments: