Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sept 23 Citation Flounders and a Great Loss in Horrible Conditions







What a week at Hatteras. I always look forward to getting a Night Run in September. It should be a Flounder Killing. Last year the grass killed the Fishing and one of my evenings was interrupted when one of my crew mates, Tina Meekins, saved 5 drowning Flounder Giggers. This week, I fought constant North and Northeast winds, dirty water, and horrible bait conditions. We also has the misfortune to have a Crew Member pass away on my Ferry while underway. It was a terrible tragedy and a very stressful predicament. Luckily, we found 2 Nurses and a Physician's assistant onboard so our crew didn't have to second guess ourself's in our life saving skills for the next 25 years. Everybody performed with courage under the worst possible conditions. Trust me, when your Captain is fighting for his life and you have 30 cars and 100 peoople onboard a Ferry, it ain't good. Toss in 40 knot NE wind and a very narrow channel, and another Ferry approaching and we had a major disaster in the making. God Bless you, Capt. Lou, I was proud to sail under your command. As far as the fishing went, The numbers fell off throughout the week, but the size was decent. I always hope for a 10 pounder up there in September, but this year my top Flounder was 7 pounds. I also had a 5 lb. 2 oz, I had 4 fish between 4 and 5 pounds, and all together I caught 24 Flounders in 5 nights of Fishing. I also caught a nice sized Octopus, app. 40 Black Sea Bass, and a few Pinfish. The 7 pounder was a last second miracle, caught at 4:50 on Monday morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time is supper?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your captain and glad everything turned out fine while underway. My condolences to the capt's family.

Cross-winds

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks Cross-Winds