Saturday, January 28, 2012

Jan 28 Spiny Dogfish Heaven

It was too pretty to sit on the shore... I was wishing I was in Va Beach.. I was wishing I knew where some good fish were down here in Beaufort Inlet.. I was bored.. I was missing Robin.. Sooooooooo, I launched the Top Water Boat! First time in a while. The Ocean was pretty, but there was some groundswell.. I debated headed west, but I am always pulled east! Off Cape Lookout, I found some Loons and Mergansers over some marks. So I dropped a speck rig and quickly got rewarded with a Dogshark. Then another and another and another... Quite a few, in fact. Big, pregnant female Spiny Dogs. 10-12 pounders. After getting my reel on, I continued my journey to the Shoals. Same old story, ever since Hurricane Irene the Shoals have sucked. I hope that something changes up there before Spring.. The Cape Lookout Shoals are poor and the formation is as bad as I can remember. I have been scouring those Shoals 50+ times a year for 20+ years. So, I consider myself a knowledgable person when it come to the Cape Lookout Shoals... (While I continue to fail in less important fields such as.... Personal Finance, Relationships, Health, but hey, at least I'm good at something)... Anyway, I crossed the Shoals hoping to find acres of Albacore and rolling Striped Bass... Negative... What I found on the Summerlin Reef was 4 small Red Drum, a handful of Bluefish, Black Sea Bass, and a Oyster Toadfish... With such a sterling catch, I am disappointed to say, I left my camera at home. I'm sorry!  Total Catch for the Day: 10 Spiny Dogfish up to 12 lbs, 10 Bluefish up to 10", 8 Black Sea Bass up to 8", 4 Red Drum up to 14" and 1 Oyster Toadfish

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you missed one - husband

Capt. Marty said...

Hope that made you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Any girl would be lucky to have Capt Marty. I blew my chance. Regretted it for 10 years

Capt. Marty said...

Regretted it for 10 years? Who can you be.... No, it can't be.