Saturday, February 25, 2012

Feb 25 Hickory Shad Biting



Chris and I escaped from the stressful world today and hit Neuse River for some Shad Fishing. When we first arrived up to Pitch Kettle Creek, it was apparent that the fishing was excellent. However, Chris and I struggled to find our niche! Finally on our second anchoring attempt, I hooked with a small Buck Shad. Better than nothing, we were on our right! Wrong! Then the doldrums hit. Christopher was going into look down mode. His two favorite spots were occupied. Things were looking bleak. Christopher ran up a Creek and emptied his 9mm on some unsuspecting water molecule. He felt better. We ventured back out in main river current and we found our spot. Every third cast we'd hook up a nice Hickory Shad but 4 out of every 5 were bucks. We ended up with a nice pile of red roe delictasies. YummYumm. Taste better than the Captain's spelling. Momma says I aint doing enough crossword puzzles. Mental sit-ups. Yeah Right....... I got that off my chest...........Pretty soon,  Shad will turn to Bluefish will turn to Atlantic Bonito will turn to Cobia..... By then The Marty & Robin story will be finalized. With either with a yes or a no. God figuring out these fish are much easier
Total Catch for the Day: 45 Hickory Shad up to 2 lb 2oz

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Chin up. I heard about your reports from a friend 2 years ago and have followed your site ever since. I find your reports/blogs to be the best that can be Google searched. A scary run in with skin cancer last fall had me down and I missed out on alot of fishing and life in general. Like I told myself "Its gonna get better." This bullshit will eventually play out. Just remember that one word can cure all...COBIA. Its coming captain and I'll see you at the Cape soon. AND WEAR SUNSCREEN! -NATHAN-

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks Nathan. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope all is well now. I got a new problem that makes all my others seem minor. A bad back. An old injury that pops up every few years. Lasts a couple days and is gone. Well, this time I've been in pain for about 10 days and its crippling me. I think Im headed to the Doctor today. If I can stand up. Kinda makes fishing and girls and ferrys and everything else seem insignificant.