Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 27 IT WAS A BAD DAY

Okay, here goes. About 30 days ago, I was blindsided by an intense back pain... Nothing I hadn't experienced before and it always lasted 2-3 days and went away..... Well, this time it didn't. I didn't let it stop me. I went fishing a few times. I caught a few Shad, I caught a few Red Drum.... In between, I saw 2 Doctors. Both assumed a Muscle Sprain, but as I explained myself, them nor I could figure out why it didn't go away.... Finally, on a whim, I had an MRI.... I also got prescribed Predisone that made me feel great! So great, in fact, we were catching 40 lb Red Drum on Friday... Then Chris and I were headed to the Neuse River on Monday.... My phone rang.... My MRI results and with it my 46 year old youthful exuberence and reckless way of life came to a grinding halt..... I am the proud owner of 2 BULGING DISCS, 1 HERNIATED DISC, and 1 UNKNOWN MASS that is pushing against a BUNDLE of NERVES that evidently controls my right leg.... Surgery Recommended but I opted for Steriod Injections and Physical Therapy. With no improvement on my leg, I'll be looking at Surgery regardless. But I'm holding off on that.... Doctor's orders---Rest and no lifting heavier than a coffee cup... I said "Hey Doc, guess what I was doing Friday, beating down the Ocean for 60 miles. up and down a ladder in the breakers, lifting and tossing 6 big ass Red Drum." He shook his head and said, I should be paralyzed right now, please don't do it again.... So, Capt Marty is on the shelf. No more worrys about a broken heart. I got a broken back. Im lucky. Im sorry. For those affected, I am truly sorry... I will come back better, lighter, stronger. I cant believe the way my life has changed since Dec 19th. I really thought the Bonito and the Cobia would be my escape.... Looks like a big fat NEEDLE in my SPINE will get that job though... Anyway, So long for a while.... Capt Marty is on the Shelf!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

NNNNNOOOOOOOooooooooo

JD Dallas said...

That is bad I know first hand about back problems. It sucks. Hope you are back fishing soon !

Capt. Marty said...

JD, I might need your advice on this one day. I never even been to the hospital except to visit.... Im pretty much terrified!

And looks like Im gonna sit out the Striped Ape and Brown Suit Seasons..

Its a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

A second opinion would be money well spent.....there is one of the best in Greenville (Center For Scoliosts & Spinal Surgery 252-752-9794)....Dr. Kurt Voos is good and the head is Dr. Harding. I had a herniated L5/S1 5 years ago and was told I'd eventually need surgery. Told the doc I read it could be reversed and he said a small percentage do and I was a good candidate being in shape....BUT he said I had to change my ways and that I did. No more overlifting and watching what I do......regular core strengthening exercises too. So far so good and I'm 56 now. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Take care of that back son. You dont want to play around with that kind of thing, You playing with fire

Anonymous said...

Pulling for yo Captain Marty,
hope you and your back and your girl all wirks out.

Dustin

James W Lung said...

You have the right idea. Follow orders. The good news is Doc's have really gotten good at fixing these messes. Surgery is a last resort, but it should not be feared.

With all that damage, I'm amazed that you were able to do what you've done over the years. One herniated disc put me on my ass for a good while, but surgery did the trick.

Rely on the Fisher of Men for your healing.