Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Nov 26 Red Drum, Flounder and Speckled Trout in a Pond




Hey, I finally went fishing! Working at Stumpy Point has really sucked. I HAVE NOT had any luck fishing for Speckled Trout on the Outer Banks. There have been some good bites, but I'm always at work. So yesterday I got a "minute" and pulled up to a Pond that I found in Wanchese. I called my buddy Ted who has lived there his whole life... I asked, "Anyone ever fish this spot?" He explained that it was an old borrow pit where they dug sand when they built the Mann's Harbor Bridge and "NO", as far as he knew it was dead and no one ever fished there....  So I wandered to the water's edge and felt for fish spirits or a fish whisperer or something.... Nothing. Dead. There was even a sheen of fresh oil that the light wind was lapping up on the shoreline at my feet. Undaunted, I hurled a much trusted 5" white gulp bait into the tannic water. Turned the reel handle 5 turns and KA-BOOM. A bite. My first bite since October 28th! What could it be. Bass, Catfish, Eel, Rockfish???? Well, an hour later I had 8 Speckled Trout up to 17", 5 Red Drum up to 26", 2 Southern Flounder that were too small, and a Sea Robin... Even more importantly, I lost a 7 lb+ Flounder at my feet and had my line broken by another Doormat Flounder. That is startling. That is what I get riding around with the exclusive "Trout gear". The 6# test ain't set up to battle gigantic freshwater Flounders in downtown Wanchese. Nobody would believe this and my only witness was a shiny black Grackle.... Total Catch for the Day: 8 Speckled Trout up to 17", 5 Red Drum up to 26", 2 Southern Flounder and 1 Northern Sea Robin 

2 comments:

Mike said...

About time for a fishing report.

Anonymous said...

Hmm it sеems lіκе yοuг website ate my
first comment (іt ωаs eхtremеly long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm
thогoughlу enjoуing youг blog.

Ι too am an aѕpiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I'd гeally appгecіate іt.


Herе іѕ my webρage ... houston garden centers spring tx