Wednesday, June 3, 2015

June 3- Hatteras Fly Fishing

Shocker for Hatteras! I was Fishing for Carp..... Long Story, here's the Short Version!  I made 2 casts with a big, mostly useless, white fly. This fly has one practical purpose. To imitate a piece of bread floating on the surface of the water.... You guys starting to figure this out yet? Fishing in a Pond that has a few Grass Carp and a few huge landlocked Jumping Mullets, I first gauged their interest with an old hamburger bun. Hungry and aggressive is what I'd call it! The first Carp ate the fly but didn't get hooked. It's funny, they are SO SMART, it seems like you get One Chance and that's it. Luckily, his partner didn't get the message! After a short search, I found a second Carp and after working in and around about 10 turtles, I finally got my fly in front of the cruising Carp. As soon as I saw this Carp do a headstand (ala Mr Cobia) I knew I was getting bit. Two long strips and WHAM! All of HELL BROKE LOOSE! This guys smoked my 3wt down to the backing. After several 180 turns and 2nd and 3rd runs, I finally slid my Carp up on the shoreline. Three years ago I caught a nice Grass Carp here and held him out to long trying to get a picture. Not taking any chances with this guy, I snapped a quick pic beside my fly rod and quickly slid him back into the water. Total Catch for the Day: a 14 lb Grass Carp

2 comments:

Mike said...

I'll look for something interesting at the seafood markets in DC and Baltimore to ring back to Beaufort next week. Any suggestions?

Mike said...

Maybe some Steakfish?