Friday, September 25, 2015

King Mackerel Fishing


For the next 6-8 weeks, weather allowing, I will be pursuing "The King" of Inshore Fishing. There is NO DOUBT that the most exciting inshore gamefish from Texas all the way around the southeast US coast to Virginia is the King Mackerel. As a kid who spend my early years on the Morehead Ocean Pier, King Mackerel were in a class by themselves as gamefish and the men that fished for them were legendary. The jumps, the strikes, and the line blistering runs are never forgotten. I remember my first King Mackerel like it was yesterday. It came from AR-315 while vertical jigging with a redhead gotcha plug. It was a 14 pounder and I landed him on a 16 ft Boston Whaler back in September of 1987. I remember my biggest King Mackerel like it was yesterday. It was October 30th of 1997. It came from the 30 Minute Rock, on the last Shad in the livewell. It hit while Stacy Mills and Gerald Curran were each fighting 30 lb Kings. My big King struck in the gray light approximately 15 minutes after the sun had slipped below the horizon. Ten minutes later, Gerald gaffed my King Mackerel in total darkness and dropped him straight in the fishbox. The following morning I was excited to dig our fish out because, the first fish that I caught that morning was a 74" long Wahoo. I couldn't wait to carry him to Aaron's Bait and Tackle to get a Citation. My big surprise came when I lifted the lid on the fish box and saw a Huge King Mackerel. I had NO IDEA my last fish was a that BIG! After a photo session, we went over to the Tackle Shop where I wrote up a 53 lb King Mackerel, a 85 lb Wahoo, a 55 lb Amberjack, and a 12 lb 6oz American Red Snapper. That was, still to this day, my Greatest Single Day of Fishing in my life. Finally and Fondly, I remember the 37 lb 4oz King Mackerel that I caught in August of 2000 that was eventually worth $52,900 because it, combined with the 30 lb 8oz King Mackerel that I caught the day before, won the Snead's Ferry King Mackerel Tornament................    By the way, I could just as easily write about 3 HEARTBREAKING King Mackerels that GOT AWAY! One huge King that broke the wire last year on a charter, another Monster King that escaped in another Boat's down rigger cable that would've been worth $100,000 in Grand Ole Opry's Greater Wilmington Open KMT, and one 25 pound King that broke my line (panic) on the Indian Beach Pier as a Rookie! But, its 4am so I'm gonna end this!

Next Week:

Let's Go King Mackerel Fishing:

Open on Sept 30, Oct 1, Oct 2, Oct 3, and Oct 4

During October and November some of the Best King Mackerel Fishing on the Planet takes place off the Carolina Capes. Home at Cape Lookout, we will get our share. Let's break the Top Water Charters and/or Capt Marty's boat record this year.... It still stands at 53 lb

No comments: