Sunday, July 17, 2016

July 16- Fly Rodding On Foot Around The Beaufort Water Front

Well, the first thing I did, concerning fishing, was walk down to the foot of Moore Street. Where Moore meets Front..... Don't get me started here. This is a very very sad subject for me..... All the way back to 1980, I had very near exclusive rights to Miss Evelyn Smith's Dock. At that time, you had Barbour's Machine Shop, the massive 3 story brick building and the Smith Dock. Those were the only Docks from the Beaufort Gulf Dock west All the Way to the Cul-de-Sac at the west end of Front Street. Better known as the "Turn Table".......The Smith dock was passed on to Richard Chadwick, whom was my Uncle by Marriage and later his son Hunter...... By then, other Docks, were popping up both east and mostly west of the Chadwick Dock. Every new Dock meant Fish Holding Structure and MORE IMPORTANTLY......Take it from the guy with 40+ Flounder Citations...... All ABSOLUTELY  LOADED with Flounder and Red Drum....... Well Time Marches on. People Die. Others Sell their Property. At one time, I controlled and exclusively fished the Chadwick Dock, Dr Boones Dock, Pages Dock, Martins Dock, and Fraziers Dock. HELL, I didnt need a boat......... The Storys and History are crazy........NINETY (90) RED DRUM from 1 boat slip. Election Day 2004. 4 tagged Red Drum from Pamlico River....... HOW ABOUT 6 FLOUNDER OVER 6 POUNDS ON 6 STRAIGHT DROPS on Halloween of 2005........ HOW ABOUT A 10 LB 11OZ FLOUNDER in 2 feet of water....... HOW ABOUT BACK TO BACK COBIAS BACK IN 2012....... But, like I said, One bt One, I lost access to each and every Dock.... So this morning, I stood on the little Beach at the foot of the old Chadwick Dock and cast my fly. Makes me want to cry. Docks and Wives. Lost. How sad. This is a Fishing Blog. Let me tell yall, from July through November, this is a GREAT FISHING SPOT. Flounder and Red Drum. Anyway, today I caught a small Southern Flounder. Later at the Pond, I caught the usual suspects. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Southern Flounder, 2 Largemouth Bass, and 4 Bluegill

No comments: