Thursday, September 9, 2021

Sept 5- No Wreck Wreck Fishing

 The Big Duck 5 has sailed a few times without me. Today I made my first "reel" trip. Gerald had a nice tip from a Dive Boat Operator that the D Wreck was crawling with American Red Snappers and the bottom was paved with Flounders. Bobby Edward's is a great source so Gerald called me up Sat Nite and said let's go!! Two parameters. No leaving before 7 and heading in by Noon...... Sounded good to me! Our problem was bait. Menhaden should've been a ten minute problem. No problem. Instead, them slimy little turds eluded us for an hour. Finally, after I caught 5 baits on my fifth throw, Gerald caught 12 dozen on his fifth throw. No bait to way too many baits. Sheesh.

Finally headed to the D Wreck. The big 28 foot Big Duck 5 jumped the Shoals at 40 knots and sprinted to the spot in 20 minutes. Nice. One problem, well 3 problems actually. Three Dive Boats sitting on the Wreck. Damn son, that sucked...... With Noon rapidly approaching, we hit 2 nearby Ledges instead. I fished my spinning rod with a stingsilver after I quickly became aggravated with the nibbles. On my stingsilver I caught 2 American Red Snappers and 2 nice Spanish Mackerel. Gerald caught a Snapper, a nice Bass, and an Octopus. That was it. Seemed like a good little shakedown cruise. Enough filets to feed his household and mine. Total Catch for the Day: 3 American Red Snappers up to 5lbs, 2 Spanish Mackerel up to 3lbs, 1  Black Sea Bass, 1 Spottail Pinfish, 1 Tomtate, 1 Sand Perch, and 1 Octopus

No comments: