Monday, October 7, 2013

Little Sid

I first encountered Little Sid back in April of 2012. Little Sid ate a popping bug in the Mung Hole one of the first days I got out and went fishing after being diagnosed with a few bulging disks, a couple of herniated disks, and one blown disk.... In other words, I was pretty much crippled. I was out of work, I was bored, and I was lonely too. I went out and bought a 38 gallon aquarium. When Little Sid ate my little fly I liked his looks and I liked his "spunk".... So, I dropped him into a 5 Gallon Bucket full of Pond Water and hauled back to my House alive. I released him and a little Pumpkinseed into my aquarium where they lived with 4 White Perch originally... Little Sid was just a little fellow back then. The size of a credit card. Then my inexperience almost killed him. I let my aquarium water become a toxic brew of ammonia and other bad stuff..... Little Sid nearly died. His pectoral fins were flooded with blood and both of them were stuck to the sides of his body. I fixed my water just in time to save them and decided to release the 4 Perch back into the wild. Their migratory instincts made them miserable in the aquarium..... I also released the Pumpkinseed because he was sort of a deadbeat. Actually, he was way more active at Night.... As for Little Sid, he recovered and a long string of would-be tank-mates began.... He killed them all! Oscars. Algae Eaters. More Pumpkinseeds. Misquitofish. Other Bluegills. Tadpoles. Monsterous Insect Larvae. Little Sid killed out of hatred. Little Sid killed out of territoriality. Little Sid killed for food. Today, Little Sid is a full grown adult Bluegill. He is a great fish. He changes colors like a Chameleon. He digs holes like a Prairie Dog. He chases, pursues, and devours every other fish that I drop in his tank. He also always hangs on the side of the Aquarium closest to where Jennifer is sitting..... Little Sid is a NC Freshwater Citation sized Bluegill......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your a sick puppy

Tom Chesebro said...

Hey Marty, Sid is developing that telltale hump behind his head that makes him a "slab" 'Gill !!!

Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

I am a sick puppy? Or are you telling me Emma is sick?

Your use of Your, You're, Yore, etc etc etc has lost me....

Thankfully, I married a second grade teacher and she is a great help. I will see if she can get you a little name tag and get you a little booklet of your very on... I mean own.... I mean oan....

oh know, its contagious. Tell you what, stay off my Blog and Isle stay off you're's. Do we understand each other?

Tom,

Yes Little Sid definitely seems to be an aggressive, sexually frustrated male. A nice one too. It seems to me that he's stopped growing. Perhaps he will not outgrow his environment? I don't know..... I've debated letting him go. I honestly think I'd miss him too much and worry about him... Dammit, I'm attached to a freaking fish!

Davin said...

Marty..i got a dumb question..so im coming down thurs evening to beaufort..Been killing the flounder lately..i know the weather is gonna be bad for the next couple of days..im worried the water is gonna be dirty and stained.. do you usually have trouble catching flounder when the water is like that.. just wondering..thanks Davin

Capt. Marty said...

Davin,

You will have a clash of 2 major factors hitting you the next couple days.... #1 the water will be dirty as hell and that will hurt . Flounders are very much "sight feeders". Clear water with plenty of bait is optimal for Flounder fishing.... #2 and this one helps..... Regardless of the wind and rain, it is October! This is the month that the bait is moving and the Flounder and Drum are in pursuit. That fact will overcome alot.... The fish will be there. They will be bigger, hungrier, and more aggressive. I'd expect that if you've been doing good, you will continue to do good.... If the weather improves and the water clears up by Saturday, you should have a great day!

Davin said...

thanks for your feedback..hoping we can slay them again this weekend..keep up the reports.. love your sight..thanks Davin

Anonymous said...

Marty

Speaking of Flounders and October.......

Remember Halloween of 2oo5?? A day I'll never forget.... 6 over 6 on 6 drops in 6 minutes and the biggest was 6-6... Okay, I made up the "in 6 minutes"

It was an amazing show you put on that morning....that morning, for that one morning, you were the greatest fisherman on Earth

David S

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.