Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23 The No-Shows


This morning I went out to catch bait for a late morning Shark Trip. By 10:00 my crew had cancelled because of thunder outside their motel window. Oh well, it did look ominous. The bait fishing was fantastic. Acres of Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish. These fish weren't huge, my Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish were from 13" to 18", but their numbers were outstanding. The only thing that made the fishing difficult was because they were located on a shoal and the tide and wind made it real sloppy. Regardless, in 90 minutes of casting, I caught 24 Spanish Mackerel and 20 Bluefish. My live well was loaded with bait and a nice limit of Spanish Mackerel on ice. On the way home I did stop and bait up a Shark. A nice Bluefish under a ballon quickly attracted a 100+ pound Blacktip. Since it was just me, I tried this on a light spinning rod with 10# test. It looked good until the first jump. Probably 6 feet high and at least 3 complete twists. When Mr. Blacktip hit the water the line parted and it was over. I think it would've been a great session on the shoal today. Oh well, back to Hatteras this afternoon.

No comments: