Wednesday, June 4, 2008

June 3 Amazing Day at Hatteras



Fishing was incredible today! Cobia was the target, but we weren't hard-headed. It was a Spanish mackerel event taking place on Diamond Shoals. I started out alone and caught my 15 Spanish Mackerel in 15 casts and then released probably 40 more. These Spanish Mackerel were 1 to 3 pounders. There was so many Mackerel in the water, it was nearly impossible to concentrate on finding a Cobia.
Later in the day, Don and Tina and their kids joined me and we caught 58 Spanish Mackerel and then.....Here comes Mr. Cobia right at me, a good cast and a quick hook-up. A hour later and Tina has herself a 65 pound Cobia. Nice Cobia, but the story today was the Spanish Mackerel. I have never seen that many in one general area. Everywhere I looked there was loose schools of 50-200 fish and this was in a huge area. It was obvious that they were spawning. From the numbers I saw, I'd guess it was a sucessful day for reproduction!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics Capt Marty.
Have you had any luck on finding some mullet or peanut pogys anywhere in AB?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Great pics Capt Marty.
Have you had any luck on finding some mullet or peanut pogys anywhere in AB?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Just got home. Not sure of the Bait situation!