Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hatteras Cast Netting

The weather was nice for a couple of days, but I got lazy and missed my chance at some good fishing. By Friday it was blowing and the water was really high and dirty. I did manage a decent throw with a 10 foot cast net that "bit off" the edge of a school of Jumping Mullets. I ended up with 20 fish that weighed 65 pounds. I had 5 fish over 5 pounds. Mullet Roe was served up at South Dock on Sunday. Thanks Bobby! Other than that, I dropped an Urchin down on Friday and lost a monster Sheepshead after a 5 minute tussle. Those 8, 10, and 12 pounders never pulled more than 10 feet of line, but this one smoked over 100 feet. I got a good luck at this one. Close to 30" and I guess 15 pounds. The hook simply fell out of his mouth and the net was never close. Commercial Fishermen had a great day yesterday. Tens of thousands of pounds of Flounder from the pound nets, at least one crew had 10,000 pounds of Roe Mullet off Davis Shore, and Pamlico Sound was full of Shrimp Boats last night. Let's go get some. I'm home for 21 straight days.

No comments: