Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21 More Freshwater Fly Rod Action


Once again, due to high winds, I got my daily Fishing Fix in the Ponds today. With SW winds at Cape Lookout gusting up to 24 knots by mid-morning and Beaufort Inlet covered with white water all day long, I scrapped plans for launching the Boat today. I just couldn't get to excited by the prospect of catching a load of small Croakers and a few Sea Mullet. So I broke out the little 3wt Fly Rod and went bugging. I saw plenty of Bass and Bream on the Beds, but my poor skills and the wind make it difficult to make great casts. I got a few bites on a sinking spider and released a few fish, including a pair of little Largemouth Bass. Total Catch for the Day: 2 Largemouth Bass, 5 Bluegills, and 3 Pumpkinseeds

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't remember how i stumbled on this page, but its good. I live in hampstead and Kayak fish around S. Topsail inlet a couple evenings every week. It will be interesting to compare notes this season.

Anonymous said...

Capt Marty has a great fishing blog. Hope your bad weather luck ends real soon. I'm ready to see some nice fish!

Allen

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks. hopefully this freshwater non-sense and watching the wind blow crap is about over. For crying out loud, it's almost May and I've been in my boat 4 or 5 times all year. I'm sick of it!