Monday, April 27, 2009

April 27 Citation Red Drums on Light Spin and Fly
















All morning I told myself that I shouldn't go fishing. I need to get catch the Ferry to Hatteras to go to work tommorrow. But yesterday was so pretty and I wanted to take a few shots at the Chopper Bluefish with my fly rod. So I grabbed Chris and we went fishing. I guess I'll be driving to Hatteras instead! What we found was a suprize. I must say, I ain't no Fly Fisherman. I have never casted a fly to a Red Drum, until today. This might be difficult for some to hear, but my first cast was a bungled toss of about 20 feet. Fortunately for me, it landed among 50 or 75 Red Drum that weighed between 35-50 pounds each. Five Drum rose to my fly and the fastest one ate it. 20 minutes later I released my first Red Drum on fly and it was a 45" that weighed 39 pounds on the Boga Grip. Sorry guys. The rest of my Red Drum came on Bucktails and Top Water Plugs. We used light spinning tackle from 10# to 12#. The first Drum of the day was a 52" that bottomed out my Boga Grip and I caught it on a Storm Chug Bug and it was not a subtle surface strike! We were ready for Bluefish and hit the Red Drum motherlode instead! We found at least 4 different schools and they were all big ones. I think I caught 8 Red Drum that ranged from 42" to 52". Chris released 5 Red Drum that were over 40". We found some small Bluefish, but NO Choppers. We also saw 2 Sand Tigers and a Hammerhead Shark. Total catch for the Day: 13 Red Drum and 5 Bluefish

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I'm talking about....pretty fishes! Gotta get me some topwater lures and go lookin around this weekend. Don't see no reason why some of my big bass plugs wouldn't do the job.

DHowell

Ryan said...

frickin awesome!

Anonymous said...

Look for the rapidly diminishing purple spots. That'd be them. Isabel Inlet would be a good place to look. Ocracoke Inlet even better. You might even find 3 or 4 Thousand Fish on the Cape Lookout Shoals. Say what!

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

generic valium online valium pill code - buy valium by roche online

Anonymous said...

diazepam generic diazepam veterinary dosage - buy diazepam online no prescription