Saturday, May 2, 2009

May 2 Queen of Wal-Mart on the Fly Rod


Now might be a good time to book a fishing trip with Top Water Charters. I seem to have started a nice little winning streak! Here is what happened today. First, I came home early from Hatteras because I am headed to Florida tommorrow morning. This morning I went to MHC to pick up a new cell phone. While in the area, and still confident with my Fly Rod from Monday's Red Drum adventure, I decided to check out Wal-Mart with the little 3wt combo for Largemouth Bass and Bream. Once I got there I found a nice bed that was occupied by a couple of small Bass and the surrounding area was alive with small Bream. After a few casts with a rubber-legged spider I noticed a much bigger Largemouth Bass that was lazily eyeballing my fly but would not eat it. I made about 10 casts right on her head and all around her, but she wouldn't eat and she wouldn't spook either. I finally made one more cast and a small Bluegill rushed out of an algae bank and hit the fly. As I was about to land the little Bream, the big Bass came to life and took a rush at my Bluegill just as I lifted it out of the water. That was pretty cool! Right at my feet the previously clear water was all muddied up. I hestitated to unhook the little Bluegill as I stared into the water. As the water cleared, I saw the Bass was still right there and her gills were feriously pumping and her pectoral fins were fanning like crazy. That Bass was pumped! What the hell, I dropped the Bluegill back in the water and the Water Exploded. Within seconds line was racing off my reel into the middle of the Pond. No way she's hooked I figured and on the first jump she'll throw the Bream and it will be over. Either way, it had already been awesome. Then my line started rising and the Big Bass raised her head clear of the surface. One mighty flip of her tail and she turned a backwards somesalt. The swallowed Bluegill was disgorged and flew 5 feet across the surface. Once she splashed down, my reel spun again as the Largemouth Bass swam away. Amazingly, I was still hooked up! A minute later I landed her and found my Popping Bug in the corner of her mouth. She was a 25" Beauty that weighed 7 pounds on the Boga Grip. I'm starting to really like this freaking Fly Fishing. Sorry for the poor quality picture! Total Catch for the Day: 3 Largemouth Bass and 3 Bluegill

2 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

First a 39 lb Red Drum on Fly. Then a 7 lb Largemouth Bass on Fly. What if I show up next week with a Swordfish and a Permit on Fly. Nah!

Anonymous said...

That ole bass sounded a bit peturd at you for trying to take his next meal. One heck of a fish tale.....sounds almost too good to be true. But since you're good friends with Honest John himself Capt Kyle, I believe you (lol).

Smart thing you've gone to Florida cause there ain't no water left in Core Sound after several weeks of sustained SW 20-30mph winds.

DHowell