Friday, May 8, 2009

May 7 Miami Fishing







Whenever I go fishing in my Home Waters, I always try to have at least 3 different plans of attack. Hopefully, at least one plan will work and make for a successful day. Sometimes all three are successful and those are the great days. What has this got to do with fishing in Miami? Well, I have been going on yearly fishing trips to South Florida and The Florida Keys for nearly 10 years now. I finally have enough experience to be able to put together a 3 pronged plan of attack and have a reasonable odds of being successful on all three. (So I thought!) This years game plan was for Sight Casting to Schooling Permit on Nearshore Wrecks, Deep-dropping for Daytime Swordfish, and Livebaiting Sailfish in the morning. By the end of the day, one plan had worked to perfection and two had busted! I was highly successful in the morning catching 2 Sailfish on 2 Sailfish bites on live Sardines a mile off the Fowey Rocks Light Tower. These Sailfish weighed app 30 to 35 pounds each. I also caught 2 Little Tunny (Fla's Bonita, Our False Albacore or just Albacore), including a 15 pounder, and was bit off by a King Mackerel on live Spanish Sardines. Unfortunately, Swordfishing was a bust. I made 3 drops in 1500 to 1700 feet of water and had ZERO action. I used a fresh Albacore filet for bait. Let me tell ya, Catching a Big Swordfish couldn't have been much harder than simply checking your bait. That fishing is a work out, Bite or NO Bite. No bites for me! That hurt because this was my top priority. Oh well. Permit fishing was also a bust. There might have been some Permit around, I'm not sure because the water was a little too dirty. There was definitely no sight casting opportunites. I tried blind casting over a couple of wrecks but ultra aggressive Gray Triggerfish devoured every crab as soon as it hit the water. The Permit never had a chance! Other than the 2 Sailfish and 2 Albacore, I had a blast catching bait and other crap with a sabiki rig. Meredith and I also spent a day at Sea World and a day at Disney World. The waters in and around Sea World were full of spawning Blue Tilapia. If I ever make it back, I will smuggle in a hook and a string. One of my Fishing Books says that Tilapia are difficult to catch, but these 2 pounders sure seemed to like French Fries. Total Catch for the Day: 2 Sailfish, 2 Albacore, 20 Spanish Sardines, 10 Round Scads, 2 Ballyhoos, 2 Thread Herring, 3 Sailor's Choices, 3 Tomtates, 3 Blue Runners, and 3 Crevalle Jacks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day of fishing to me.

Nomad Fishing Charters said...

Hi admin,
As the first cool fall breezes kiss the bank of Miami & Miami Beach the remote ocean angling starts to high temperature up. Sailfish, Wahoo, Kingfish and Dolphin (Mahi) all start their movement south, and warm waters off Miami Beach is the place they are all headed.

Miami light tackle fishing charter