Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21 Nothing But The Wind and a Boat Ride

I went on a little "scouting trip" today. Cobias were eating up the entire Coast from Beaufort Inlet to Diamond Shoals until the big Monday Blowout. Then came Tuesday and Wednesday's East Wind Extravagandas. Today was supposed to be the day we turned the corner on the weather. Lighter East Winds and Mostly Sunny. So I went for a ride to see what I could find. Here is what I found: 15+ knot East Winds, Filthy water along the Beach and out a mile from the Cape Lookout Shoals, a Beautiful, but fishless, Tide Line off Beaufort Inlet, Chocolate Milk in Lookout Bight, and one lone Houndfish out in the Blue Water off AR-315. That's a 60 mile Boat Ride and I never saw anything to cast a bucktail to! The Bait fishermen were catching Sharks and Rays at the Cape and Rough Point, maybe I saw 1 Cobia caught, but I'm not sure about that. Total Catch for the Day: NOTHING

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The relentless and continuous blows on the coast for the past 3-4years....from Spring until the turn of summer has been enough to make any fisherman contemplate turning to another sport like golf perhaps. Well maybe not that bad, but it sure does hurt the fishin spirit in ya.

DH

Capt. Marty said...

Makes me appreciate the good days. Oops, I meant to say "The good day". Has it been that bad? Yes.

Will Rees Fine Wood Working said...

Camped justed inside S. Topsail inlet last night, was hoping to kayak drift with some live bait this morning. NWS said E wind becoming 5 knots after midnight, more like NE 10-15+ all night & day! Managed to catch an unusual smooth slender large sort of pufferfish about 21" 4 lbs. + 1 big ol ray

Capt. Marty said...

Sounds like a Southern Puffer. They are pretty damn cool, as compared with more traditional Puffers. Of course, being a Puffer must be pretty un-cool. Unless you're the Alpha Male-Puffer. Then you make all the other Puffers deflate just by swimming into the Bar! There goes, all this wind has made me lose my mind.....

Will Rees Fine Wood Working said...

i wish it was a southern puffer then i could stop wondering what the heck it was. This fish was yellow & silver, with a white belly. It had a head like an ocean sunfish and a body like a cross between an tuna and an amberjack. It had a beek like a squid for teeth/tooth. It was 1 of 3 fish i've caught in my that i can't find out what it was. That wind blew some strange creatures in the Waterway

Capt. Marty said...

I'm sorry, I meant to say a Smooth Puffer instead of a Southern Puffer.