Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sand Tiger Shark Info


Yesterday for the 4th time in the past couple of years I used Sand Tiger Sharks to salvage an otherwise poor day of Fishing. These Sharks have ranged from 75 to 150+ pounds. I have caught them every time that I have tried this one particular spot. On good fishing days I wouldn't do this kind of thing, but I'm not sure why. In aquariums across the country Sand Tigers are always the number 1 attraction. Huge Bodies with sharp teeth sticking out everywhere. On the hook they are pretty tame for their size. You can catch a 100+ pounder in short order on relatively light tackle. My personal career best Shark is a 242 pound Sand Tiger caught in March of 1993. An amazing fact for such a docile creature is that this Shark actually eats all of it's brothers and sisters while still in the womb! Sand Tigers also rise to the surface and gulp air. This air is stored in a primitive swim bladder and allows them to hover motionless off the bottom. Small fish are lured into a false sense of security by the motionless Shark and actually try to use them for cover. This adaptation and behavior helps the lumbering Sand Tiger effectively feed on small fish and makes them unique in the Shark world. Anybody wanna go catch one? I know the perfect place. I'm 4 out of 4 so far.

No comments: