Monday, May 25, 2009

May 25 The End to a Horrible Fishing Week---Guess What


This has been one horrible week of Fishing. Monday it blew 50 and rained 2 inches. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday it blew East and that sucks. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it blew Southeast which made the water clear so we could actually see there were NO FISH. Today was my last day off and I go back to work tommorrow at Hatteras. Wouldn't you figure that we can see the light at the end of the "fishless tunnel" now? Inshore Fishing has been so slow this week I actually talked my client for the day to re-schedule June. So today I carried my wife up to Cape Lookout. I personally am not one to sit on the Beach, so of course I went riding to look for a Cobia. Earlier this week, I had rode 178 miles and not seen nary a Cobia. So today, with a half-hearted effort, wouldn't you know that I saw 19 Cobias in 2 hours. Sheesh. Granted, an estimated 15 of these were "Bouy Fish" in a mixed school of app 30 baby Amberjacks. Unfortunately, all these fish were undersized or borderline. Regardless, for me to find a school of 30" to 33" Cobias and 8-10 pound Amberjacks on an "inshore Bouy" after a week of horrible fishing was a treat for me! I couldn't get the Amberjacks to hit a top water plug, but they sure did gather underneath it and eyeball it! It almost seemed like another boat had already hammered this school. The little Cobias were less wary. I caught a 31" Cobia on a bucktail and then caught a 33" Cobia and a 30" Cobia on whole squids that were cast to the Bouy. The other 4 Cobia I saw today were single fish, all in the 25-35 pound class. I made casts to 2 fish that wouldn't eat a bucktail and the other 2 Cobias were ran over by other Boats before I could get off a cast. That, my friends, is Holiday Fishing Inshore off Beaufort Inlet and a horrible conclusion to a terrible week of Fishing. Total Catch for the Day: 3 Cobias (all released, 1 borderline legal, but I couldn't kill the poor critter)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Poor Bastard. You fished 4 out of 5 days and you complain about everything. You need a summer of picking cotton.

Capt. Marty said...

I guess you're right.