Friday, December 4, 2009

Dec 4 Speckled Trout and Gray Trout




This morning the tide was right, the water was dirty, the wind was okay, and there was a huge ground swell. Two of the 4 helped the fishing and 2 of the 4 hurt the fishing. How was the Fishing? I guess my expectations are too high. This time of the year we should be smoking the 2-3 pound Trout. This time of the year should produce great days with 7 pounders occasionally. This year is different though and I was pretty disappointed with today's catch. I did get a 24" 5 pound Speckled Trout. That was a freak that ate a live shrimp at dead high tide on the Radio Island Rocks. I also got 4 more keeper Speckled Trout between 15" and 18". I killed a 10 fish limit of Gray Trout that ranged from 13" to 17". All the Gray Trout came from the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty. I also released 2 Gray Trout and 30 Speckled Trout that were too small. Every fish I caught today was caught on live shrimp or mud minnows. The Shoals were too unfriendly to cross this morning to search for larger game. This afternoon I was too disgusted to even attempt it. Total Catch for the Day: 35 Speckled Trout and 12 Gray Trout

No comments: