Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Nov 28-30 Squid Blitz







On the 28th I got into the biggest school of Squid that I've seen in a couple of years. For a 20 minute stretch, I flat out bailed Squid. As fast as I could. I had to run and get a bucket and that took some time. Afterwards, I had 53 Squid in the bucket and I really don't remember not catching one on any drop. All I had to do was drop the jig, twitch the jig, and flip up a Squid. I couldn't miss. When it was over, I was covered with black ink. The following 2 nights were completely different. No schools. Just flipping the Squid Jig around the lights and I managed to catch 11 Squid one night and 8 Squid the next. Not too bad, but nothing like the blitz on the 28th. Total Catch for the Nights: 72 Squid and 3 Rainwater Killifish

7 comments:

Cliff G said...

Hey Ba,

I would like to hook up with you on a striper run to the point sometime if you go. I have never done..

Couple of Q's.

1. Queen Trigger and Gray Trigger, is the Queen a female or male, or are they totally different species?

2. Preacher Prik , any idea what the formal name is?

Capt. Marty said...

Clifford

Grays and Queens are different species. Probably 99% of NC Triggers are Grays. There is another Triggerfish in NC waters, the Ocean Trigger. There are a couple of more obscure species. How would you like to be a male Queen Trigger?

The much dispised "Preacher's Prick" is actually called an Inshore Lizardfish. Always disappointing to a Flounder fisherman or a Trout fisherman. I must say, kids love them.

I'll be looking for Striped Bass on the shoals for the next 6 weeks with absolutely ZERO confidence. However, I will never forget December 12, 2006. I didn't expect them that morning either and found probably 10,000 of them at Cape Lookout.

Marty

Vic said...

Hey Capt. Marty -

Where and how do you catch those squid? Looks like a very interesting diversion and some fresh calamari would be a nice change of pace.

Capt. Marty said...

Vic
All those Squid came from the vicinity of Hatteras Inlet. I have never encountered numbers or size of Squid anywhere else in NC waters. Maybe I just aint looking in the right places. I've heard stories of great Squid fishing around Oregon Inlet. I find them around lights at night. You will see them if they are there. I use a Yo-Zuri Squid jig. Drop it in and twitch it. the squid will grab it with their tenacles and it's as good as caught. Good Luck.

Vic said...

Thanks Captain. I would have given it a shot if I could have found a squid jig at one of the tackle shops! Are you fishing on foot or from the boat?

Capt. Marty said...

You can order those jigs off the internet. I'm on foot. Up at Hatteras, any lighted dock can have Squid under the lights. I've caught them at Oden's, especially around the bow of the Miss Hatteras.

Vic said...

Hey Capt. - tried last weekend and didn't have any luck. Do you find them all year? Any specific conditions that you look for or is it just luck of the draw?

thanks again -