Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 20 Casting to Turtles


Cobia Fishing was a little different today than when I left it. Sight casting opportunities were nearly non-existent. I saw 2 small Cobia swimming on top and ran over both of them. On a positive note, on a day when nearly everyone struck out, I did get lucky. I found a giant Leatherback Turtle swimming in 7 feet of dirty water. When I approached the Turtle, he dove to the bottom. The damn thing was so big though, I could still see a dark spot moving across the bottom. One cast with a bucktail and 7-8 Cobia magically appeared. After the first hook-up, I grabbed another rod and cast again. Bam, doubleheader. 15 minutes later I had a 38 lb Cobia in the boat and let a slightly smaller fish walk. That was early and that was it. I never saw another fish. Total Catch for the Day: 2 Cobia up to 38 lbs

1 comment:

ehirunner said...

You musta wiped 'em out last week, or they smartened up and started swimming towards some of those other boats.