Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5 Big Suprize Blackfin Tuna Inshore







I made a solo run out to AR 315 this morning to spank the Atlantic Bonito. I was met at Beaufort Inlet by heavy fog and zero visibility. I said , WTH, what else can go wrong in my life, but I headed west anyway. Once I got to 315, it was pretty obvious, pretty quick that it wasn't going to be a big Atlantic Bonito day. Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish were over structure and fishing was okay for them. The first Spanish Mackerel of the year is always exciting. After an hour or so and 10 Bluefish and 5 Spanish Mackerel, an acre of Bonito crashed just inshore of the Reef. Me and one other boat made it to the melee in time. I got 2 Atlantic Bonitos in a hurry. I let one walk and iced one down the unfortunate one. Ceviche! After a few minutes of waiting around, I said this is too slow, so I started the trek down to AR 320. I didn't get far to the west before I came up on another school of Atlantic Bonito. This time I was too slow. No strikes. I did notice a couple of birds dipping over an area thich with Lion's Mane Jellyfish. As I watched, I saw a big boil, then another. Something unusal. Was I seeing things? Then a couple of Spanish Mackerel jumped. So I casted my tiny weighted Yo-Zuri on 8# test. Quick stike......An hour and a mile later, I had a 24 lb Blackfin Tuna in the Boat! Unreal. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Blackfin Tuna, 2 Atlantic Bonito, 5 Spanish Mackerel, and 10 Bluefish