Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sept 11 Red Drum and Speckled Trout on Foot in Beaufort


This is my favorite kind of fishing. A trip where I have less than 5 dollars invested.... Fishing the high tide in Taylor's Creek on Hunter's Dock. Its the season for Red Drum and Flounder. The tide was right. The moon was right. Robin is in Buxton sleeping peacefully. I had nothing better to do.... First cast with a 5" Jerk Shad got smoked... Three minutes later I was still in the fight. Then the neighbor's dock pilings got involved and it was over. Incredible. Tough way to start this little fishing adventurencredible! My next bite was an oddball. As soon as I set the hook, this fish came to the surface and shook like a wet dog. A minute later a 20" Speckled Trout slid into the grass and into my hand. Looking good now. The next hour produced 5 Red Drum from 26" to 31". All these came off the little Beach down from my dock. All these Drum waged war in a tight area between 2 docks. Each Drum was reluctant to dive under a dock and thus they were not very smart and they were captured. The lucky one's were released. Lack of a Flounder kept me from the coveted "Carolina Grand Slam".Total Catch for the Night: 1 Speckled Trout at 20", 5 Red Drum up to 11 lbs and 8 Bluefish

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much for you and Robin to take me Dock fishing at night?

Edward

Chris said...

Wonder if those 8 bluefish were the ones we dumped in the creek a couple months back, still ruling the roost.

Capt. Marty said...

Nah, these were little ones that were busting under the lights. I caught a few to try for doormat baits.