Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jan 17 Tautog Tales



First of all, last night I went home with a career best 4 lb Tautog. I filleted it and we are having it for lunch tomorrow.... I saved the carcass and tossed it on the grill. I also rubbed the head down with salt, butter, and black pepper, sealed it in tin foil, and placed it on the grill instead.... Here's the results: The carcass contained "the meat between the bones" after filleting. This was a very tasty appetizer. As for the head, it was delicious. The cheeks contained 2 large nuggets of rich, white flesh. Also the throat area was loaded with meat as was the top of the head. This was the first time I've ever tried this and I'd say that the Tautog's head was a "gold mine" of meat.... So, this morning was foggy and we stayed tied up for several hours. I briefly tried fishing. No luck. I had to run to the Post Office around 10am. I decided to leave my rig overboard so I loosened my drag and propped up my rod. Evidently a short while later my Oiler and good buddy Billy Harris noticed my rod "bouncing down the rail". Billy ran over and quickly grabbed my bucking rod! He then expertly wrestled a 4 lb Tautog over the rail of the MV Kinnnekeet. That's two 4 pounders in two days! An hour later, I followed up with another Tautog over on the Ocracoke side. This one was a merely a 2lb 8oz, a little letdown after the 4 pounders... Not bad, I'm really enjoying this Very Challenging Fish. It feels like Trophy Fishing because the bites are few, its a challenge busting these very strong fish out of heavy structure, and the fish itself is a very high quality for eating purposes... A little later, David Carter caught a 5 lb Conger Eel on my rod. This Eel had to wrestled out of heavy structure. Tough Customer.... I guess any bite is a good bite on a cold January day!  Total Catch for the Day: 2 Tautog up to 4 lbs and a 5 lb Conger Eel

5 comments:

Vic said...

Hey Capt -

Love your focus on unusual species - keep up the good work. I keep close connections with the mid-Atlantic/Northeast surfcasters and have wanted to target tog down here for years.

Question: do you find that they are really more plentiful this time of year or is it more that its easier to target them because there are less competing species and other species to fish for?

thanks man!

Capt. Marty said...

Vic,

I might not be the best person to answer this question. My biggest problem here is that I very rarely fish in a manner that could possibly catch a Tautog. At Bft Inlet, I very rarely put myself in position to catch them and Im talking about 12 months out of the year. The ones I have caught were all caught on live shrimp in Nov/Dec. When at Hatteras, I fish for Sheepshead in July, August, and Sept. No Tautogs. I fish for Tautog in Dec and Jan. You see the results.... I know a far number ofb Togss are caught by a select few fishermen at Oregon Inlet starting in October..... As to their availability the rest of the year.... I know there was one caught on my boat in June while Grouper Fishing. I caught one once in May in a crabpot in Taylor's Creek. I know we caught 2 Togs last August in a crabpot at Hatteras Inlet... I have seen them caught by my cousin Tony (he had a knack for Tautog!) in March and June at AR-315 off At Beach. Tony caught a 5 lb Tautog with me in March of 1989. It was the first one I'd ever seen in person. That is literally everything I know by firsthand knowledge... I've read lots, but that is every tidbit of info that I've gathered on my own! Sorry for lack of help!

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

Dis a Great White Shark bite pic #3? Also, a Silly Billy Sighting!

Anonymous said...

Capt.,
Are the squid around Morehead this time of year?
Thanks
Jerry

Capt. Marty said...

Jerry,

Sorry for the delay... As for MHC Squid??? Im not sure because I am not in position very often (around well lighted water at night) to see them...Especially in winter... With that being said, I have never seen the numbers of Squid any time of the year around MHC that I've seen around Hatteras in winter.... I have seen loads of small Squid in Shrimp trawls from Carteret County, but never the larger Squid like I've caught at Hatteras in the past. Up there, we are basically sitting 25 miles out in the Ocean. The warm water is always pretty close and Hatteras and Ocracoke Inlet are the primary outlets of a huge area of Pamlico Sound and thus the Neuse and Pamlico River... Are there vast numbers of "catchable" Squid around Beaufort Inlet? I dont think so. I've never experienced it... Thats my guess...

Marty