Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 5 A Fish of a 1000 Casts?




Muskellunge? I wish, but not in Eastern North Carolina...... Never before will you hear Hickory Shad described that way..... Hopefully, never again. Today was THAT DAY and a couple of factors contributed to it.... First, the weather was beautiful and the forecast for the next 2-3 days is beyond rotten. Bad enough to mess up the fishing for an entire week and that just so happens to be my "fishing window of opportunity". A week..... Therefore today was MY day to FISH. However, we were casting for Hickory Shad, not trolling the Great Barrier Reef for 1200 pound Black Marlin. Nor were we drifting live lobsters off Key Largo for 85 lb Cubera Snapper! The second factor that added to everyone's immense patience was that there was a very fun and interesting group of guys fishing at Spring Garden today. Dudes that were from all over eastern NC and all walks of life. After the first hour and approximately 60 empty casts, it was almost as if we were all "long lost friends" that had just reunited.... It was really neat. And the fishing was agonizingly slow. I estimate that I casted between 600-700 times and I caught 4 Hickory Shad and had one swirl behind my spoon. Pretty bad when we fondly remember a "swirl".... Anyhow, I caught 2 little Bucks and 2 big fat powerful Roe Shad. I kept one Shad and gave one away. I released the 2 small ones. Both of my keepers were well over the 13" minimum for an NC Freshwater Citation. As a matter of fact, the one in my cooler is a 16" and 2 lb 9 oz beauty..... Well, high winds, rain, and cold weather due in tomorrow. Just what I expect. Total Catch for the Day: 4 Hickory Shad up to 16"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats up are using Wordprеѕs foг your blog platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm tгуing to get ѕtaгted аnd crеate my οwn.
Do yоu requіre any html cοding κnowledge to
make your own blog? Any hеlp wοuld bе grеatly
apρreciаted!

my websitе: garden centers
Also see my web site: garden centers south jersey