Friday, September 19, 2014

Sept 19- Sightcasting to Red Drum

First of all September 19 is a date that is very very important to who I Am and the person I became..... Specifically, on the morning of September 19, 1988, Tony Englehardt and I was out on Tony's Stepfather's 17 ft Boston Whaler. We were on a "casting mission" hunting for Spanish Mackerel... We had worked a few miles west of Beaufort Inlet. Finding some fish in the clear, blue water southwest of AR-320, we had began working farther off the Beach and our stingsilvers were finding more Albacore than Spanish Mackerel.... That was fine by us, as we were looking for a fight as much or more than fish dinner..... These Albacore were small and fun, averaging 4-6 lbs..... I made "just another cast" in the direction of "just another school of breaking Albacore"... Hooked up immediately, but something was different this time. The fish ran out and down. It pretty much had its way against my light drag of my Shimano Speedmaster Spinning Reel and 10 lb test Ande line.... I couldn't gain any line back... After taking my cussing from a high strung Tony E, I finally went to the bow and we tracked this one down.... I quickly got straight up and down over this fish. I will NEVER, EVER FORGET looking over the side and down into that crystal clear water ..... There it was, 50 feet below.... A freaking Yellowfin Tuna. My first and probably 35 miles from where you would ever expect to see this species. In addition, we now knew what we had, so the tension was thick and the anticipation was high.... The tackle I was using was overmatched but I knew time and pressure would eventually land me my first Yellowfin Tuna. Five miles off the Beach and on a tiny #4 treble hook that was hung on a $2 stingsilver..... Round and Round the Tuna swam as I gained inches on every revolution.... Ten minutes later, his tail broke the water 8 feet off the starboard side. Pulling too hard for comfort, I managed to keep his head up as his tail propelled him straight at Tony. SHAZAM, Tony sunk the gaff and MY LIFE WAS FOREVER CHANGED. I WOULD NEVER STOP FISHING and I HAD THE CONFIDENCE TO LAND ANY FISH THAT I HOOKED FROM THIS DAY ON....... Yep, to this day, the challenge is getting a fish to bite a hook. If he bites, and I hook him, I WILL catch him unless I get impatient. Usually I Do Not get impatient ....... Anyway, that's why September 19 is a special day in my book. As is 1988. My favorite day. My favorite year..... Today, Emma and I cruised out to Rough Point right after low tide and our Red Drum school was right where we left them yesterday. On 4 casts, I caught 4 Red Drum. I kept a 24" Puppy Drum and released 3 that were larger.... Red Drum on the half shell is on the menu tomorrow. Football Saturday. Camping. Boiled Shrimp and Grilled Red Drum. The Good Life. Jennifer and me are headed to Cliffs of the Neuse State Park. Poor Jenn. I love you . Total Love for the Day: 4 Red Drum from 24" to 31"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

El capitan, what did u and tony do with the tuna? You do not get impatient; this must be another capt cuz i don't know. Eg

Capt. Marty said...

Sainty Egggg,

That Tuna got eaten by a couple of ganja eyed bandicoots....

The next day, I got a flat tire in Vanceboro NC on my way back to ECU..... I laid in the grass to see how to access my spare tire and got BITTEN by FIRE ANTS 90 times on my thighs.....

You think I'll never forget Sept 19? Let me tell you, I will NEVER FORGET Sept 20, 1988 either....

Got Me!!!!!!

See ya October 4, okay!!!!!