Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sept 6- Casting Bonanza

A couple of days ago I had a guy that wanted to go "Wahoo Fishing". Great idea and the Wahoo have been chewing lately. My old pal Gerald caught 8 nearly identical 35 lb Wahoos on Friday... Today the weather was decent and I could've, should've gone Wahoo Fishing.... Make me some Money! The problem was, my boat just got out of the Shop! The Wahoo are out on the Break. That means 40-45 miles offshore minimum. I DID NOT think this was a GOOD IDEA on the first day out on the Water with an "iffy" boat... I could've took those guys out 25 miles and "robbed them" and might've caught a Wahoo, but that ain't September Wahoo Fishing and I ain't that kind of Captain... I tried and tried to tell them how great the live bait and casting has been and how much cheaper it would be for him and how much safer and smarter it was for me..... To no avail! Needless to say, I had no charter today. Put myself right out of a job .... So my lovely wife and I went out on a test run ... I wasn't thrilled with the Top Water Boat. Still has issues. The Cape Lookout Shoals were alive. The metal lures that I casted were quickly slapped. Lots of variety, I caught Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, Blue Runner, Crevalle Jack, Houndfish, Albacore, and the incredibly annoying Bullet Mackerel. We chased fish from the breakers out about a mile to the east. All in all, for a shakedown cruise, the fishing was incredible! The 5 lb Crevalle Jack on 10# spin was an absolute riot. Great Fish, Great Fight. Round and Round he went! Total Catch for the Day:  6 Spanish Mackerel up to 24 oz, 2 Blue Runner up to 1 lb, 5 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, 1 Houndfish at 48 ", 1 Albacore at 7 lbs, 1 Crevalle Jack at 5 lbs, and 1 Bullet Mackerel at 24 oz

No comments: