Monday, September 29, 2014

Sept 28- Awesome Flounder Rally

These Flukes were 5 lb and 4 lb

Chewing

Getting ready for the Fillet Knife
For a short time it was like the "good ole days"...... Reminiscent of 2004.  After a slow start to fishing, avoiding the Barbarian Hordes of Pinfish while looking for Sheepsheads, and finding none..... After a boring hour, I noticed a small gaggle of  Finger Mullet up in the shallows. A rare sight nowadays..... In the years before the much discussed Dredge Carolina was tied up in the Ferry Basin, there would be school after school after school of Finger Mullets passing through. Shadowed by Flounders "beyond your wildest dreams"...... Anyway, for old times sakes, I threw my cast net and caught 15 fat Finger Mullets.... Good Thing. It paid off.... Anyway, I grew tired of looking for the Mythical Sight Castable Sheepshead.... Tired now and yawning.... I pondered laying down for an hour. No, I've got some live bait, once again I thought, "for old times sakes" I'm going to toss a Mullet out on the old "Flounder Berm"..... Twenty seconds later, it seemed like Andre the Giant thumped the back of my hand that was holding my rod. Okay, that's familiar! I paused 15 seconds and lifted my rod firmly...... The rod bowed and the fish surged off. A minute later, I netted a 4 lb Southern Flounder..... Thus began the best 30 minutes of my 2014 Fishing Season (Well, that's debatable) Nine Flounder on Nine Mullets on Nine Casts to the exact same spot. A 5 lb Founder, Three 4 lb Flounders, Three 2 lb Flounders, and Two 16" Flounders. As Gary Cooper netted my last Flounder, another crazy South Dock Phenomenon began! I have fished here 20-60 nights per year, every year since 2004..... That's literally hundreds of nights... Its always been a great place for very small snapper Blues. I've honestly never seen a Bluefish approach 12oz here..... As I celebrated my 9th Flounder and could nearly "bet my life" that #10 was minutes away..... But NO! Suddenly the water boiled. My Finger Mullet was chomped in two. I flicked it back out there, a bleeding half Mullet.... It was instantly crushed. The fish was incredibly fast and strong. It raced circles in the dark straight below my perch on the Deck of the MV Croatoan. Finally, my fish broke the surface. Spooled up with 80# PowerPro, I swung my quarry up and over the rail.... WHAT? A freaking 3 lb Bluefish. Peering over the side, I saw 12-15 of these Blue "Eating Machines" bolt under me and head for the lights and shallows. The water boiled again.... I never caught another Flounder. I tried a couple more Finger Mullets but they were chomped up. Finally my treble hook (the only treble hook in my truck) got bit off by a Chomper Bluefish..... Amazing night at South Dock! Total Catch for the Night: 7 Southern Flounder from 2 lb to 5 lb, 2 Summer Flounder at 16" each, 1 Bluefish at 3 lbs, 2 jumbo Pinfish, 1 baby Gag Grouper, and 2 Atlantic Needlefish

No comments: