Sunday, January 3, 2016

Jan 3- 50 Year Old Fly Rod (At Least)

A Pumpkinseed..... Always the Prettiest Fish of the Day

Emma moments before making the decision to go Swimming!

This little Bluegill was the first fish on the Ted Williams Rod

This little Bluegill was interesting
Years ago, my Momma bought me an old Ted Williams Signature Sears Roebuck 3 1/2 weight Fly Rod. It is made from freaking Bamboo! She bought it at a Yard Sale and paid a Dollar for it. It came with its original vinyl zippered case. I knew it was old. I knew it was cool. I fished but didn't fly fish so I set it aside and never gave it another thought. I had no idea then, or now, what this Fly Rod is worth. Nowadays I am doing a little fly fishing and I spend lots of time fantasizing about far away places and big fish on my fly rods! That's where my interest is right now. In reality, around here, if I want to "fly fish", unfortunately it means casting small popping bugs to Beaufort's mostly stunted population of Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, and Pumpkinseed. I long for Salmon, Trout, Walleye, and Pike..... So I figured, if I must catch puny runts in Beaufort...... I might as well do it with an ancient Bamboo Sears Rod. So I bought a cheap 3 wt reel from Cabelas and off to the Mung Holes #1 and #2 I went..... interruptions were frequent..... Emma is a pain in the ass to "Pond Fish" with... She thinks I can pretty much fish no matter what she does. She's right. The Fishing isn't affected, just the catching. A 90 lb Yellow Lab splashing around in 4 feet of water pretty much puts an end to any potential top water action around the shoreline. Thanks Emma. I did manage quite a few Bluegills and one Pumpkinseed before the big Yellow splashdown. No Bass. That sucked. I love the Beaufort Freshwater Grand Slam. The old 3 1/2 weight Fly Rod wouldve made Ted Williams proud. Fished just like it did when brand new, I'd guess..... . When I got home, I wiped it down and I put it up. One day I might pull it out again. I will look it up and try to date it and try to see what its worth. That will be interesting. As will my trip to an Orthopedic Surgeon tommorrow. Still llimping around. Bad knees. Total Catch for the Day: 8 Bluegill and 1 Pumpkinseed

1 comment:

You won't believe this petstore Puppy for Sale Indiana said...

it was fun and adventure.. me and my BF used to this before :)