Sunday, June 26, 2016

June 25- Capt Marty Conquers New Citation Species

Big, big suprize tonight! Standing over a school of juvenile Striped Bass that Ive been fishing/watching for the past month, I waited until the time was right....... And then I made a quick cast with a tiny grub/jig head. I quickly got a bite and this fish did not come up easily. When I finally got this fish on the surface, I saw I needed a net but didnt have one. After a quick search for options, and finding none, I reeled down and quickly and smoothly lifted my fish up up up and over the rail. Miraculously, as soon as this fish cleared the rail, my 6# mono popped and a much larger than expected fish fell to the deck in front of me. Wow. What a surprise. I quickly noticed a much stouter body and pointier anal fin than the small Striped Bass I was expecting. It was clearly a White Bass. The little cousin of the Striped Bass and this one was a Trophy. This White Bass was 18+ inches long and thick. This morning this fish weighed 2 lbs 9oz on my 4 lb Chantillon Scale. Crazy and a New NC Freshwater Citation for me..... Back to last night..... My next cast was intercepted by a fish and this one turned out to be a 13" Hybrid Bass. Amazing. Before the night ended, I had caught 2 small Striped Bass giving me an odd "Striped" Grand Slam! Total Catch for the Night: 1 White Bass at 2 lb 9oz, 1 Hybrid Bass at 13", and 2 Striped Bass

1 comment:

Mike said...

congratulations on the citation