Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nov 18 Speckled Trout Chewing




Whats the difference between biting and chewing? Not sure, but they seemed to be chewing today. Brent, Scott, and Ken caught Trout after Trout after Trout. Seeing that nobody needed my help, I picked up a rod and joined the action. When it was over we had caught an outrageous number of Speckled Trout. Brent and I guessed 300. Of those, we had 6 over 14". We had some other fish as well, highlighted by a double header of Jumping Mullets on grubs, and Brents weighed 3lbs. Live Shrimp and Mud Minnows were a waste of time. Gulp was a waste of money. Grubs worked fine and so did smoked Bluefish skin. We took a 2 hour break and rode the Shoals and chased Gannets, for nothing. We found an Ocean Sunfish and a 18+ foot Basking Shark. That damn thing was an easy 2500-3000lbs (I have NO EXPERIENCE with animals of this magnitude). At the end of the day, big numbers for a slack fishbox. Fun regardless. Total Catch for the Day: 300 Speckled Trout up to 16", 20 Bluefish, 3 Red Drum up to 17", 2 Gray Trout up to 18", 2 Jumping Mullet up to 20" and 1 Hogfish 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out your best catch of the day, that keeper pelican. Thanks for a great day on the water.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

That was a nice Pelican, I'd love to have him trained to spot Cobia for me in May. I could tell Scott was concerned that he might not fare to well after my Shearwater story. Looking back on it, the fishing was SO EASY, I'm sure I told way too many storys. There was a little concern on Ken's face as well. Hell, I thought everybody slept in the bushes occasionally!

Anonymous said...

Trust me, Ken has worse stories than that. He spent a lot of time in the Philippines when he was in the Air Force!