Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nov 3 Every Cast for 4 Hours!







The weather today was rotten. The past 9 days has been terrible. The forecast through Monday is horrific. Is this some sick joke. I go back to work on Tuesday November 9th. I bet pretty weather start right about then..... This morning, I couldn't take it any longer. With 20kt NE wind and soaking rain, it still looked like my best day. Of course, NE and NW are two different animals around Cape Lookout. I perfer NE, so off I went, really looking for Albacore. What I found was a special treat. No more than 10 boats at the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty and every rod bent. So from 10 am until 2 pm I sat there and made cast after cast and caught fish after fish. Nearly every cast would result in a Speckled Trout, a Gray Trout, or a Red Drum. The Red Drum took a little extra effort. You had to cast close to the Rocks. Speckled Trout were matted 200 ft from the Rocks to right up against the Rocks. The Gray Trout came in waves. During one stretch, I caught a Speckled Trout on 66 straight casts. The streak ended when I broke off a big fish. Yes, there were some nice fish sprinkled in there too. I caught several Gray and Speckled Trout in the 2lb class and one Speckled Trout at 3lbs. I easily caught a limit of 15+ inch Speckled Trout. The Red Drum ranged from 16" to 20". These fish were biting any color or any thing. Where I was anchored, I was marking 4 solid feet of Speckled Trout on the bottom in 15 feet of water. This was definitely one of the best days of the year and one of the first "every cast" days at the Rock Jetty in a couple of years for me. Too bad I was all by my self! Trout Fishing is looking good right now but the forecast is high winds from the NW. That sucks! Total Catch for the Day: 200 Speckled Trout up to 3 lbs, 30 Gray Trout up to 2 lbs, 25 Bluefish and 15 Red Drum up to 20"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

245 fish in 240 minutes.... Wake up Capt Marty, you are dreaming! Just kidding, I was across the Rocks from you and you were whacking them about 3 per minute for a solid hour. We were busy as well. Terrible day for such great fishing. Well worth it!

Anonymous said...

I'd take one day like that anytime.....it could blow a gale the rest.

Capt. Marty said...

Here we again again. I got Smiley with me today. He's leaving the Deer alone. Late start. We'll see how it plays out.

Anonymous said...

Ain't the daily limit ten? Be quiet.....be bery bery quiet (lol).

Capt. Marty said...

One of the smaller Trout was un-identifiable. Apparantly a rare Speckled X Gray Cross breed that needed to be removed from the gene pool.

Capt. Marty said...

Jeez, reminds me of Cobia Season when I was on the most wanted list

Anonymous said...

Hey, how about pick up the phone!!!!! Tuggy