Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oct 10 Taylor's Creek Failures

Okay, this WAS THE WORST FISHING EXPERIENCE I've had since the mid-90s. I snuck out of the house in the middle of the night to fish a tide. I had plenty of bait and conditions were "right". I had caught a nice Southern Flounder earlier in the day, but was plagued by Lizardfish. So what happened next was a catastrophe. First Mullet to the bottom gets eaten. When I set the hook, the rod bowed as a big Flounder exploded off the bottom. Glancing to see where the net was, I missed something. The rod tip snapped up and the fish was gone. WTF? My line broke (I thought) where my braid joined my shock leader. Dammit. It seemed like a 5+ pound Flounder. I quickly re-tied another Carolina Rig with no shock leader. 80# braid straight to the swivel. Next Mullet down and it gets slammed. The rod bows and as the fish surges, the line parts. In the dark, I spin the reel handle in disgust. "Is the braid rotten, I wonder?" Looking around, I'm out of leader material.... So I drive all the way home. Carefully I enter the house to get some mono. Robin's dog explodes.... Robin explodes... "You'd rather fish than be with me!"...... "No Darling, but the Flounder, Baby, you wouldn't believe how big they are! "..... "Show me one!"..... "I can't yet".... You get the picture! Anyway, I get back to the Dock and my next Mullet hits the bottom and is chomped. I lift the tip and its glued to the bottom and the rod tip is chewing to the beat of a monster.... I count to 25 and set the hook. This monster explodes off the bottom and heads offshore... And I clearly see the 80# braid seperate at the rod tip. Oh My God. No. I look and see the glass insert is broken and has a razor sharp edge. It took 3 losses for me to figure it out. Three Citation Flounder. (A guess). I pop the ceramic out and tried it with no insert. Never had another bite. No Flounder to show Robin. Stayed out all night on our last night together for 7 days. I'm in trouble over fishing and I actually care. And, the Flounder kicked my butt. It was a horrible night. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Southern Flounder and 5 Inshore Lizardfish

6 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

Sounds like a night from HELL Marty!!! I feel for you buddy, that really sucks....

Is your email still the same as it is listed here on the website?
I sent you an email.
Not sure if you got it or if my email is messed up again.
Thanks
Tom

Chris said...

Well, finally, a fishing story that sounds like one of mine from start to finish. At least your woman still wants to spend time with you...

Anonymous said...

Serves you right for leaving her at home. All she wanted was to have her picture made in her new black bikini with a fish and you blew it. You need to make it right so your karma will come back......and we get a little eye candy :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty, just keep in mind what my wife said that trip on my boat at Oregon Inlet when we decided to go......But damn she actually left!!! But rock fishing only happens like that 8 weeks out of the year, that leaves 48 weeks to get back on her good side....Maybe that will work for you and Robin!

Tugwell

Capt. Marty said...

Tom,

Im sorry, Im a little slow up at Hatteras. I will try to get those pics out. you may want to try right clicking with the cursor on each picture. Your computer should ask you if you want to save the picture to your computer.

Anonymous said...

I see a pattern developing here...Captain Marty's testosterone sitting on one shoulder and his fishing jones on the other.

All the while both are whispering in his ear, "Come to me..."

Wonder how long it will be before 'Ol Captain Marty will be too attentive to one or the other...