Friday, December 9, 2011

Dec 8 Not So Good

Here lately I've been haunted by the Full Moon. Fishing tonight was no exception. Not sure if the Moon is completely full or not, but one thing is definitely certain..... I am not having one of my better fall fishing seasons!   Hopefully, the winter fishing will make up for it.....On to the latest Fishing Report......... The Hatteras Squid run has fallen off. Needing Squid for Tautog bait, I did manage to catch one nice one at 15". Other than that I purposely snagged 5 more baby Squid in the 3"-4" range. Snagging anything at that size was a challenge. On the other side, I could only manage 1 Oyster Toadfish on the hook. I did see the largest Tautog that I've seen since cousin Tony reeled in a 6 pounder back in 1989 at AR-315. The one I saw tonight was a 5lb Tautog but I couldn't entice him to bite. He was patrolling the shadow line by a large concrete stanchion. The Togs are slurping small crabs off the surface and the 5 Tautog that I have captured all had stomachs full of crabs.... I only have a small handful of fishing gear so I'm pretty restricted in my attack. I need a dip net to catch some crabs, but with 4 in my garage at home, I just cant justify buying another one so I can try for the elusive 5 lb Tautog.... Speaking of Togs, the ones that I have eaten rank up there with the finest tasting fish I have ever eaten.... Total Catch for the Night: 6 Squid and 1 Oyster Toadfish

No comments: