Thursday, December 22, 2011

Last Night's Journey



To begin with, Squid fishing was good. The Squid were small. I guess we're having "popcorn calamari"... The jig was bigger than the Squid. The aggressive little demons would still attack it though. I ended up with 39 Squid. Not bad.... On to the main event! So I caught a bucket full of baby crabs. At 1245am I took my position and waited for Mr Tautog to show up. Holy Cow what a wait. I felt like a Blue Heron. I stood and I stood and I stood. A few times I got dizzy/sleepy and nearly fell to my death. Finally at 435 he showed up. Casting a baby crab in the dark in 12 kt wind was a trick, but I hit the right spot a few times. For 5 minutes he would charge the crab and flash under it. Then (in the dark) it looked like he had a hard time eating it. I suppose Tautog are better known as daytime feeders and maybe eating at night is a challenge? Finally about 450 I got a bite and missed. Then another, and another. I was furious now. I dropped another crab and a crewmember walked up and distracted me..... My line came tight! I got him finally, but the hook pulled. Then another Tog showed up, the big one from the night before. Now it was 455 and time to load. I dropped one final crab and wham, he nailed it. When the Tautog broke the surface, it was obviously not the big one, but thankfully it was a Tautog! Mission accomplished. My whole life is better! Total Catch for the Night: 39 Squid and 1 Tautog

3 comments:

Mike said...

Lotta work for one Tautog. Hope the squid were good.

BOB said...

Merry Christmas Capt 'bout time for a post. Tired of looking at nothing

Capt. Marty said...

The baby Squid fried up were a delight. "Popcorn Calamari" and we are the eyeballs, beaks, ink sacs and all. The Tautog fillets are definitely among the whitest, flakiest fried fish fillets I've ever had. Went down good with a cold beer and football on tv.