Wednesday, February 26, 2014

BLUEFIN TUNA- 10 Years Ago and Yesterday

Up here on the northern end of the NC Coast a very welcome visitor has arrived.... The Bluefin Tuna. Making some people very happy. It's the end of the 2013-2014 Commercial Bluefin Season.  It was a bittersweet but happy reminder that it's been 10 years since my best Commercial Bluefin Season. The December of 2003/January 2004 season was laid out like this: Because the Quota was pretty tight that winter, there was a 10 day season in December of 2013. The limit was one fish per day. My season went like this. I missed the first day completely. The second day I caught a Bluefin Tuna that had a dressed weight of 187 pounds. I estimated that the live weight was 227 pounds. The following 7 days, I caught a Bluefin Tuna each day that weighed from 213 lbs dressed to 292 lbs dressed. One day, I caught 2 Bluefin Tuna and we passed one of them over to another boat. The final day of the December season was rough, cold, windy, and foggy. We didn't catch a Tuna. So, for the 10 day December season, I caught 9 Bluefin Tuna and sold 8 Bluefin Tuna. The "live weights" of fish were estimated from the smallest at 227 lbs to the largest at 342 lbs. I lost one very close to the boat that was well over 500 lbs. It was minutes away from the gaff and the hook pulled...... I also remember Capt Skip Conklin and Capt Jay Russel fought a Giant Tuna for 6-7 hours one day. These boys catch lots of big fish. They are great fishermen. This Giant Tuna escaped after an epic battle. Jay claimed this one was pushing 10 feet long and 1000 pounds.... Those guys were devastated and exhausted..... All around Carteret County, the Docks and Fish Houses times were good. The money was great. There was an electricity "in the air".  The entire Beaufort Inlet area had an incredible vibe

Come January of 2004 the Quota was so tight that the NMFS decided on two separate 2 day seasons. On the first day, we caught a huge Tuna right off the bat. This one weighed 330 lbs dressed. I estimated that it weighed 380 lbs when it was caught. I also remember this one well because we only got $3.81 per pound for this fish.... In comparison, every other fish that we sold fetched from $10 to $15 per pound. Getting less than $4 was a dose. A bad dose. The following day and the first day of the second set we very quickly caught, killed, and sold 300+ pound Tunas. Our Fishing World was "On Fire"..... Then came the last day of the 2003/2004 season. Bad weather was coming! The prospect of making "another" quick $4000 to $8000 bucks had the fleet sailing early. Like 3am. The Tunas, were moving farther south with every day. The final morning, everyone was looking at an area about 25 miles south of Beaufort Inlet..... By 530am the fleet, and I mean 200+ boats of every kind. Custom Sportfishing Boats, Charter Boats, Corporate Fishing Yachts, 100 ft Super Headboats, 25 to 36 ft Center Consoles with 500-750 HP, all the way down to 21 ft cuddy cabins with 150 HP. I was on Admiral Gerald Currin's top flight, high dollar Yamaha powered 27 ft Contender called "The Big Duck III"..... Amazingly the damn future "Top Water Boat" was out there too.... She was called "Lookout Lady" back then.... We were all, the entire fleet, headed for TROUBLE......

Morehead City's Best and most Experienced Fishermen, guys like Capt Woo Woo Harker long time owner and Captain of the "Carolina Princess" said they'd NEVER seen it get so rough so quick. The conditions in the atmosphere didn't add up to the effect that it had on the Ocean's surface. It was a January Southwester and that's unusual, but the seas got so steep and so high and the interval so short... It was a FREAK of NATURE. It hit us one mile from where we planned to fish. We turned around immediately and started for home. It took 90 minutes to get there "in the dark"..... It took 7 hours to get home "in broad daylight". It was a Life Changing Event for some. It was, at very least, a day Never To Be Forgotten for all the others.... The owner of the 25 foot Downeaster called "Lookout Lady" spent a long, long day fighting its way towards home..... (I know how that thing handles Rough Seas----Terribly) When the "Lookout Lady" hit the dock, she NEVER SAILED AGAIN until she was SOLD.... As for us, we dipped the bow of that Contender into the wave "in front of us" 10,000 times that day as "the wave behind us" tossed us forward. Knee Deep Water in a boat not designed to hold a drop for 7 straight hours is quite unsettling.... Lose power and DIE. Ride in "a trough" for hours and all you can see is a wall of cold green water in front of you (that's comforting compared to.....) Look behind you and all you can see is a cresting 10 foot high wall of cold green water towering over your stern... Literally make ONE MISTAKE and you're going to Pitchpole. Lose power, lose headway and you will be tossed into INSTANT CALAMITY. It was a scary day and I'll be damned if it didn't suck all the fun right out of all those other days. Dude's would've traded all their "Tuna Money" back just to get back home..... Lotta prayers mumbled through clinched teeth that day... Well, we ALL made it back if you're wondering.

Well thats the way it ended.... I caught 12 Bluefin Tuna, I sold 11 Bluefin Tuna, I caught my career best, a 380 lb Bluefin Tuna during a 14 day Commercial Season. As fate would have it, I also found my present boat, The Top Water Boat, as a result of that last day. Plus, I learned a few lessons that I will never, ever forget that last day. It's now been a little over 10 years.... By the way, I wrote all this from memory. My notes and fishing logs from 2003 and 2004 are in Beaufort and I'm at Hatteras, closer to the Tuna. They are swimming a few miles away. I feel them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How large was the tuna in the photo? Did you ever fish anywhere other than Morehead?

Capt. Marty said...

I am at Cape Hatteras, sitting on a Ferry Boat. It is 11pm. I have been up 42 straight hours. All my journals and fishing logbooks are in Beaufort. So I'm pulling this from memory and I ain't sharp right now!

I know that is a January of 2004 photo. I want to say that one was 262 lbs dressed and estimated at 307 lbs live weight. You can tell that is a relatively slender Tuna. Not the "butterball

Capt. Marty said...

Oops sorry..... Not the "butterball" we see on Wicked Tuna....,oh well, those days over on this part of the Coast... Hopefully the fishing will be good at Oregon Inlet and maybe even Hatteras..... It makes me feel good knowing the Bluefin Tuna is powerful and prolific enough to stand up to man..... They aren't done yet . Pity the fisherman that has never met this Fish. There is still a chance.

To answer your second question.... I fished out of Beaufort Inlet for fun and commercially. For fun, I have also targeted Bluefin Tuna out of Hatteras Inlet, Oregon Inlet, and Rudee Inlet.

Bring on the Red Drum