Thursday, February 27, 2014

Feb 27- Capt Marty Actually Went Fishing


Ferry Crewmate Matt Williams and I hit the Point at Buxton today in search of Red Drum. They bit good yesterday. And the day before. Honestly, the Red Drum bite up here has been steady and strong since October. Why the hell these fish refuse to budge is a mystery to me. Red Drum are not teeming in the Surf off Cape Lookout, Shackleford Banks, or Bogue Banks. I'm not sure about Core Banks or Ocracoke Island. To me, it doesn't seem these fish want to cross Hatteras Inlet..... I mean, up here at Hatteras, people are catching many, many Red Drum day after day after day..... It's incredible. At Cape Point today, when we arrived two things stood out. #1 Nobody was fishing. Apparently the fish had stopped biting as the tide fell. Of course, we missed it by an hour and it was an "epic bite"....... #2 There were Horseshoe Crabs everywhere. Sadly, most of them were pushing up higher and higher into the dry sand where Herring Gulls were flipping them over and eating them like a crustacean on the half shell..... I saved a dozen of them and returned to fishing.... As for our fishing, I briefly casted "where the fish were". Nothing. Then I walked to a little point to the west.... I got grass on every cast. Then a tightly packed flock of terns caught my attention. Far to the east and a ways offshore. It was interesting how they were "picking" the water... It reminded me of the way I've found them hovering over the strange Bullet Mackerel that have showed up the last 2-3 years.... I don't know what I thought. Catching a rare Bullet Mackerel on a gulp from the Beach would be amazing.... if I was going to think crazy, why not fantasize up a Blue Marlin from the Mung Hole? Anyway, I made the long walk across the Point to the eastern-most point. I waded out towards the birds..... It was here that I found a little bar and eddy that I liked the looks of! Then on my first 4 casts, I lost 2 Drum and caught 2 Drum. I waved for Matt and he saw me, unfortunately so did the others.... The "Human SeaGulls"... The same guys that cop attitudes if you crowd them.... Regardless, the masses elbowed their way in...... The barrage of falling gulps, grubs, and other plastic soft baits pushed the Red Drum offshore.... My bait rod also caught a Clearnosed Skate. Finally, on the way out, we found a Ocean Sunfish that committed suicide because he was being constantly bullied by too damn many Red Drum! Total Catch for the Day: 2 Red Drum at 24" each and a Clearnosed Skate

No comments: