Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Feb 25- HARD AGROUND


Last week had some damn pretty days and I didn't even GO FISHING..... Let's see, I bought a new truck. Chris got married. I did my taxes. By Sunday I was desperate and suddenly opportunity knocked! And hell no it wasn't the Mung Hole. It wasn't even the Top Water Boat.... Jeff Garner, the owner of Morehead City's oldest, largest, and most prestigious restaurant, The Sanitary Fish Market Restaurant invited me to go fishing! Jeff owns a 62 foot Custom Sportfishing Boat named The Yellowfin. Jeff wanted and needed Wahoo, Dolphin, and Tuna for the Restaurant and I was going to be the Angler (and mate as it turned out because the crew fell apart and it looked like just the two of us!) Anyway, as luck would have it, Jeff had a fuel transfer pump die and we never went fishing....

DAMNATION

So later, Capt Tuggy and his girlfriend Lauren drove to Beaufort and they joined my beautiful wife Jennifer and I on a calm peaceful boat ride. Hindsight being 20/20, we either should've stayed in bed or stayed in Taylor's Creek.....Y'all know me. it was very light seas so even though it was pretty cold on the water, I soon had us headed towards the Cape Lookout Shoals at a fast clip. The ole Top Water Boat hadn't seen any action in nearly 6 weeks so she needed to "get hot"..... I figured we had a one in million shot to find a school of Red Drum.

What we found was something else entirely! We found a very nice 45-50 foot sailboat keeled over 45 degrees, with full sail still up, surrounded by angry breakers and ripping currents, and a sole Japanese survivor frantically waving his arms..... We worked across the breakers offshore of his position to get on the Eastside of the Shoals and then we approached to within 300 yards of his bow before we ran into very shallow and rough water. To make matters worse, we also had 4-6 foot breakers coming in on us from behind.... That's my worst case scenario and with 2 sunny day chickadees on board, it wasn't in our best interest to make this a 2-boat pile-up. So I called Sea Tow and Tuggwell called The United States Coast Guard and made them aware of the situation. (Of course, out of the corner of my eye I also scoured the area for Red Drum)..... Anyway, as I struggled to keep my crew safe (and dry) I also studied the situation and found a different approach pattern. Once Sea Tow and the Coast Guard were underway, we left the scene the same way we came in..... Back across the Shoals to the Westside and then we approached the crippled Sailboat from an area that last summer I called "Bluefish Alley". I know this spot like the back of my hand.....As Tuggwell and I discussed the likelihood that the Asian Sailor was an eccentric retired CEO of a HUGE CORPORATION and how we were likely to divide up a 100 to 200 MILLION DOLLAR REWARD.... It wasn't an easy track but we were keeping 4-5 feet of frothy green water under our hull.... Getting closer, we were weaving in and out of finger shoals and hollow green breakers we this time approached the Sailboat from his starboard side to within 100 feet. Unfortunately, here we ran aground and I read my wife's look as if she said "You think that Sailboats in trouble you ain't seen nothing yet" Anyway, we got close enough to see that as the tide ebbed out; the Sailboat's occupant could hop overboard and walk to Cape Point in waist deep water if necessary. Attempts to communicate failed because he didn't seem to speak English, and there was no way we could help him because he seemed to want a "tow".... At this point I was more interested in saving "my boat" from finding a Dead End Shoal..... Visions of GOLD LIFE SAVING MEDALLIONS and MILLION DOLLAR REWARDS faded as we powered trough sand and white water to safety as Sea Tow and The Coast Guard was arriving.

Remember WET PLUS COLD PLUS SCARED MINUS REWARD MONEY EQUALS MAD WIFE which results in AWFUL EXPERIENCE for Capt Marty

So, we did a good deed but accomplished nothing. I scared Jennifer off the water again. The fishing highlight of the day (the entire week unless I can count the excitement of watching Wicked Tuna) was when we chased some Gannets off the water and they regurgitated up some hefty Menhaden before taking flight. Damn that's it. Total Catch for the Day: Nothing 

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds more exciting than fishing.

Anonymous said...

You are a better and braver man than me Capt Marty. I was out there on the 25th with my son on my 2120 parker SC. I attempted to answer the call as I was just inside the bight at that time. I nosed up to the shoals between shark and him until I was in about 3 feet. I saw sea tow and others, you appearently, and decided there was nothing that I could do for him as he was hard on. I had my 11 year old son only with me and the moma would not have forgiven me if I came home 1 short. Good for you for trying.