Thursday, April 3, 2014

April 3- Spiny Dog Heaven




As long as this wind keeps honking, I guess I should just consider myself lucky to have anglers that are satisfied to catch Dog Sharks. Really now, they are numerous. They pull hard. And, supposedly they are great eating. At this time, they are one of NC's most regulated commercial fisherys. Our "Horndogs" support the local pub favorite "Fish and Chips" that is so famous and popular all across Great Britain as well as other parts of Europe. They long ago fished out their inshore/ nearshore tasty Shark species, the Tope.... Now they rely on imported Dog Sharks from the US East Coast..... So today, JohnBoy wanted to pursue Bullet Mackerel, but it's blowing a "Pops Cod".... So we went Dogging instead. Two things were different: #1 JohnBoy played with ultralight spinning tackle. As a matter of fact, we each caught 10 lb Spiny Dogs on 4# test mono. It was great fun but we lost some tackle as well. JohnBoy and I also discussed the possibility of eating some Dog Shark Meat. We decides to keep 6 Dog Sharks for the table. I'm on my way to help JohnBoy clean our quarry as soon as I post this! I will report later on the quality and taste of  "Beaufort style Fish and Chips" Total Catch for the Day: 22 Spiny Dog Sharks from 5 to 11 lbs each

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for supper!

Capt. Marty said...

Sorry I let you down

Anonymous said...

Johnny don't look too happy. Was he expecting a Great White?