Friday, April 4, 2014

Dog Shark Bites--DELICIOUS



Okay, here it is...... You guys ain't going to believe this but here goes. Yesterday John Boy and I kept 6 Spiny Dog Sharks. We cleaned them. The amount of meat derived from a Dog Shark seemed a little slack, considering each one weighed about 7 lbs...... Anyway, with 3 fish each, both John Boy and I had plenty of meat. If anyone wants to try this, I'd recommend killing at least 3 Dog Sharks.... Anyway, my first impression was how damn white the freshly cleaned meat is.... It is the cleanest, whitest meat I've ever seen from any animal, reptile, or fish. It is so incredibly white it looks cooked..... Okay, last night I put a ziplock bag of boneless, skinless Dog Shark meat in my refrigerator. No salt, no soak, no nothing.... So tonight at 9pm, 26 hours later, I pulled out 4 pieces of Dog Shark flesh and cut it up in 4"X 1" fingers. I soaked the fingers in milk for 10 minutes. I rolled the fingers in seafood breader. I fried the fingers in a hot oil bath..... Let cool. Made a cocktail sauce...... Walked into the Living Room where my beautiful wife was watching TV. I offered her a fried finger and did not tell her what it was. She ate it and said "Delicious". I said really? I re-entered the kitchen and tried it myself. It is Sooo Damn Good, so damn light. It is indescribable. If you want a "fishy" fish, the one ain't for you. Whiter and Lighter than Flounder. I don't know what else to say. I see why the Dog Shark is one of our most important and heavily regulated Commercial Fish on the US East Coast..... I highly recommend everyone keep a few Dog Sharks this Spring and take them home and fry them up!

4 comments:

Jordan said...

Did you bleed them when you caught them?

john said...

We did not. These fish were gutted and cleaned 3 hours or so after they were put in the cooler.

Capt. Marty said...

I want my readers to know that John is an extremely knowledgeable angler and he also has a NC caught Snook in an aquarium in his lab (bedroom)

John is an up and coming force in Inshore Fishing and amateur Fish Scientist

FinchasersUSA said...

I'll vouch for you on this one, they are excellent table fare. I've always gutted them right after the catch, more less because that's what I read you should do.