Saturday, April 18, 2015

April 17- Santee Cooper Adventure






Long time Top Water Charters friend Tom invited me to join him on another Fresh Water Adventure yesterday and I jumped at the opportunity! Last year Tom put me on some great Walleye Fishing up on Lake Erie. Size and numbers of Walleye that I caught was OUTSTANDING! This time, the target species was Redear Sunfish, more affectionally known in the Southeast as a "Shellcracker". Unfortunately, the Shellcracker bite was a little slack, but there was great variety to be had on these twin, huge SC Lakes. I also caught a surprising White Crappie that was tagged and won me a 42" Striped Bass Mount made by King Sailfish Mounts. Thanks to Tom Burro's Fish Camp for sponsoring that incredibleness!! Back to the fishing, Tom really out performed me. He caught trophy sized Black Crappie and Shellcrackers. I may have got the better of him on numbers of keeper Bluegill though. We teamed up to catch around 50 total fish of 7 different species. We actually caught decent numbers of both Yellow Perch and White Perch too. Tragically, all of these delicious fish were "too small". Anyone that puts down either of these two's culinary qualities needs their Heads examined........ Our best fish of the trip was Tom's 2+ pound Black Crappie. Tom's much smaller Black Crappie was an extremely light in color and, at first glance I would've guessed it to be a White Crappie. Much later, at the cleaning table, I counted its dorsal spines of which it had 7 of them. A White Crappie, on the other hand, has 5-6 dorsal spines (Black Crappie have 7-8 dorsal spines). Remember this worthless piece of Fish Fact for proper Fish ID regardless to  the fishes actual color....Of course, the most outstanding Crappie was MINE. The one with the yellow spaghetti tag pinned just below his second dorsal fin!!!! Total Catch for the Day: 3 Black Crappie up to 2 lb 2oz, 25 Bluegill up to 1 lb 4oz, 6 Redear Sunfish up to 1 lb 4oz, 1 Pumpkinseed, 1 Hybrid Sunfish (Bluegill X Green Sunfish, I think???? This same combo when paired up in a Laboratory makes the Famous Georgia Giant), 8 White Perch, and 8 Yellow Perch




4 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

Sorry Marty, but I beg to differ with you on the crappie sub-species. I've been catching both species all my life and those were black crappie we caught. Blacks are wider for their length than white crappie. There are almost no white crappie caught in Lake Moultrie, whereas you can catch both species in Lake Marion, but the predominant species is the whites there. This was explained to me by Steve English whose been a guide on the 2 lakes for over 30 years. He told me in all those years he can count on one hand the # of white crappie he has caught on Moultrie.
Don't worry man, when I get back up north, I'll have you up for some awesome crappie fishin' !!! Your freshwater career is just beginning !!! I'll send you pics of the walleyes we're catching over the next 2 weeks up in Ohio !!!

Capt. Marty said...

Ah, you are correct Tom. Again. And I knew that Sunday morning when I cleaned that big bastard. By the time I started blogging, the facts had flipflopped in my brain. Exhaustion???? Anyway, in the picture of your semi-magnificent Black Crappie, you can very easily count SEVEN dorsal spines. Duh Huh.......

The most humorous part of this entire episode occurred Sunday night. After frying up all those fillets (delicious BTW) I was in the kitchen making myself a fried fish sandwich. (Best I've ever produced!). Anyway, I called out to my lovely Bride... "Honey, do you want a Crappie Sandwich?" Needless to say, her answer was comical. A little later our dinner was going great when suddenly I informed Jennifer that the fillet she was biting on was the same species as Little Sid. That brought our little fish dinner to a sudden and emotional end.

At the end of the day, I'd say Crappie Fillets rated an 8+. Bluegill and Shellcracker were pretty close behind at a 7.25. I prefer Walleye (of course, Capt Obvious) Closer to home, I'd rather have fresh Bluefish and/or Flounder, Black Ass Sea Bass, Sheepshead, Sea Mullet, Vermillion Snapper. But I'd give the Bream species the nod over some salty favorites like Spot, Spanish Mackerel, Jumping Mullet, Red Drum, Speckled Trout, and others!

All in all, a GREAT adventure

Tom Chesebro said...

Thanks again Marty..I fully enjoyed our little trip..maybe we can get down there again before I move north!! My buddy is supposed come down sometime in May and wants to go to Santee for crappie again. Hopefully you'll be able to join us !!
Really looking forward to our Cobia trip when I get back from Ohio..hopefully weather and fish cooperate for us !!!
Talk to you soon brother...

Mike said...

They were delicious.