Thursday, April 30, 2015

Rainy Day Notes

One really crazy thing we saw yesterday was very noteworthy. After I spent all winter griping that "Unless Mary Lee (the tagged 3500 lb Great White Shark) swims up to my boat, I probably ain't gonna see anythjng out there that I haven't seen a thousand times before. " Well, I was wrong! Yesterday Rhino and I saw a Freak Show. One in a Million here in NC! We saw a Gannet surface with a fish in his beak. A menhaden in all likelihood.  Then, to our amazement,  a 7 foot Shark surfaced and attacked the Gannet. Probably in effort to get the Shad. All we saw was the Sharks tail whipping, his dorsal fin high and erect,  and his eyes above the surface and his jaws snapping at ghe Gannet. The Gannet was backpedaling and squawking up a storm. I turned Thr Top Water towards the scene and the Shark quickly spooked. The Shark may have succeeded, I'm not sure. In my experience, that size Shark doesn't spook so easily. Regardless, it was quite a sight. It just ended too quickly!

Captain Marty's Bonito Ceviche. Awesome Boat Food. Appetizer Food. Main Course even.

Grilled Bonito. Absolutely Delicious Grilled Fish!
As for the Bonito that Rhino and I caught 7 and I made a killer batch of Ceviche. As my Ceviche "cured" in the refrigerator, I cooked up four of the largest loins on the Grill. Lightly marinated and cooked medium rare and this Sarda Sarda was every but as good as any Yellowfin Tuna has ever been. No Shit..... Now today (May 1st) I ate some delicious Ceviche while I was fishing on the Sea Spray. It was kick ass as well and tomorrow my brother and I will be eating some Bonito Toro as Sashimi. I already know how good this is gonna be! Long Story Short..... Atlantic Bonito is THE INSHORE TUNA on the US East Coast. It is everything Yellowfin Tuna is except the size of the Loin and the "Flake" size of the meat..... Awesome Fish!

Indigo Bunting. Rare Bird sighting at Ferry Dock over at Ocracoke Island
Finally, the other day at South Dock on the Eastern End of Ocracoke Island I noticed a very unusual bird. Dark Blue. Almost "Duke" blue. He also had black wings. It was asmall bird, the size of a true Bluebird. His color caught my eye. I snapped a quick, but poor quality photo. I thought I knew what it was, and after checking a Field Guide, I was right..... This little birdie was an Indigo Bunting. A very prominent species for the Bird Watchers out there......


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's a gannet? Eg

Mike said...

Next amberjack orlike fish....
JalapeƱo Amberjack12
Thin slice of Amberjack (Japan) with sliced jalapeno, fresh wasabi, and mustard pomelo ponzu sauce

Capt. Marty said...

Ellen....... Google is your friend

Michael, I will have some Ceviche and a little Sashimi for you to try out. Maybe even some more Grilled/Blackened Bonito if we can catch a two or three more . There's always hope! Remember, this IS MY FAVORITE FISH...... (Tied with Wahoo and Chain Pickerel)

Anonymous said...

Anything special you do to the sashimi on this fish capt? What is the best dipping sauce?

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Ceviche and Sashimi were delicious. Maybe a little jalapeno next time.

Capt. Marty said...

Bonito for sashimi...... Slice it thin, if possible. After that, all I do is fix Soy and Wasabi to taste. I like it to open my sinuses but not burn too much. It's really HIGH QUALITY FLESH! Bluefinesque

Anonymous said...

Indigo Bunting...... I believe she was a dancer at the Crazy Horse, Myrtle Beach SC

Anonymous said...

Love the little indigo and i still don't know what a gannet is!!! Why goggle when you have a cousin who knows EVERYTHING!!! Eg