Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20- Bream Busting Fly Rod Adventure


Capt Christopher Columbus came by this morning to put some PowerPro on a couple of his reels and we had a long talk about Fishing and Boats and other stuff...... When Cbo left, I had an hour to blow before I had to catch the Ferry to Ocracoke. So, I grabbed my trusty 3wt Fly Rod and ran off to the Mung Holes..... Not much time, but I was quivering to try a GrassHopper imitation that Cbo had picked up at Cabelas.... Well, a beautiful bait, but........ With nearly NO ACTION. It looked great to me, but the fish were not rising. With time running out, I went to my traditional favorite, a Betts rubber-legged spider. With the little plop and splash. dark shapes quickly materialized out of the murky green water under my offering. Then....... Poweeeee it happened! A Beaufort Beauty, a Pumpkinseed slammed my fly and the fight was on! A quick release and right off the bat I had the "hardest  of the Beaufort Sweetwater GrandSlam"..... A couple of casts later and I had my Bluegill....... Now, I was looking for a Largemouth Bass. With sand falling through my hourglass, I found another Bluegill.... Then another.... Then another Bluegill...... Then another, and another, and another.... I never saw a Bass today. I never tried a larger Popper. I ran out of time. Great Fun Though.... I am loving and fascinated by the Fresh Water Fishing for some reason. I can only imagine the JOY that I would feel if I lived down by Santee Cooper, SC or Lake Erie or even close to the Tuckasegee River in the NC Mountains....... Its all I think about honestly. I'd like to add another thought: I wish I could find a fishable and accessible population of Crappie in Carteret County. That would slow my wunderlust! Total Catch for the Day: 6 Bluegill and 1 Pumpkinseed 

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Pretty fish.

Tom Chesebro said...

Nothing that swims is much prettier than a "lit-up" pumpkinseed !!!
Nice pic Marty !!

Anonymous said...

Love this picture!!! This needs to be framed. Eg