Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April 6- Ararat River Trout Failure



After a business trip to Winston Salem, Jennifer and I decided to drive up to Pilot Mountain for the fun of it. After a great time on the Mountain, we wondered over to Mount Airy. Of course, I kept my eyes on a constant lookout for "fishable" water. I just happened to have tossed my beloved 3wt Fly Rod in the truck for the ride. Once we arrived in Mt Airy, we quickly found the Ararat River. I remembered reading about this place. A great little easily wadeable and easily fished Trout Water. As matter of fact, this River is a well stocked, delayed harvest River. Luckily for me, I quickly found out from a couple of locals that the River had just been stocked two days ago. Hell yeah, hungry Rainbow Trout everywhere! Sadly, this may or msy not have been true but I couldn't catch the damn things. I tried a dozen different flies and several in-line spinners. I saw roll after roll. I saw Trout chase my offerings over and over. I maybe hooked 2 or 3. I landed NONE. It was The Most Frustrating Fishing Day In A Long Long Time. Especially when, as we were leaving,  a dude walked up and caught two Rainbow Trout on his first 2 casts. Jeminy Crimany. Total Catch for the Day: NOTHING

3 comments:

Tom Chesebro said...

Worms next time Capt. !!!
Them trout love worms !!!

Capt. Marty said...

Well..... This was a sort of "look Honey there's a fishy looking creek do you mind if I make 2-3 casts" kinda fishing trip..... If I started loading up the night crawlers and such, the Big Boss, the Moore family CEO, My Bride Miss Jennifer probably wouldve sensed that I was up to something....

In hindsight, she probably wouldve agreed to me preparing for an actual fishing session as opposed to the sneaky way I went about it and the ensuing string of failures and "one more cast" broken promises....

My lasting thought from this entire episode is this..... After my Mountain Trout Grand Slam and my 100 Trout days with Jalen up on the Tuckasegee, I was convinced that I was now an expert Trout fisherman and Fly Fisherman.... Wasn't I wrong. Following failures in New River, Cranberry Creek, and now the Ararat River, I realize that I am No Longer THE WORLD's GREATEST FISHERMAN. I'm no longer an elite fishing talent. Hell, I suck at fishing period. I can't even get a starving Goldfish to take a fricking Flake of Tetra Pro Gold!

I suck! Bring on the Pinfish. Somebody take a kid fishing!

I rant

Ed said...

You are starting to sound like your pre robbery old self! Good!!